Masamoto VG - recommended? What's the handle like?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhpr262

Reaction score
I am considering buying a Masamoto VG but I am not sure how well the handle will fit me.

I have a CarboNext 270mm gyuto and I find the handle a bit small. For comparison the handle of my Tojiro DP fells pretty comfortable to me (I am 6'3'' so what feels large and boxy to other people feels OK to me) and I love the generous handle size of my Hattori FH. How does the Masamoto VG handle compare to those other examples, if you have any hands-on experience? Handle size is pretty important to me because I hate pinch grip.

Are the VGs worth their money anyway?

No own experience with the Masamoto VG. I would think a POM handle at this price point is not acceptable.
Have a look at the Misono's, especially the 440 series. Their handles are a bit larger than usual, and very well finished.

I hadn't even considered the handle material, but actuall you are right, for just $25 more I could buy another awesome 270mm Hattori with a Micarta handle! Or the one with the white Corian handle .... :eyebrow: I'll take a look at the Misonos too.

Why was it awful on stones? AFAIK it is made from the same material as dozens of other knifes, with similar hardness and similar blade profile and thickness ...?

I assume panda is talking about my old 270 Hattori. Yep, I agree. Mine was very difficult to sharpen and even had a pretty good size overgrind near the heel.
I would not recommend this knife to anyone except a NY Yankees fan.

Mac pro is great, its the only stainless gyuto I have kept. However the VG is a better cutter. Mac better f&f and can take more abuse, also responds well to its matching black ceramic rod where as the masa needs to hit stones when the edge is worn.

For a beater, miyabis cheapest line is not bad if you like thinner blades, otherwise torijo dp I think is best value.

I've heard many good things about the Tojiro line, as well. The Mac handles are VERY comfortable for big hands. Even though I like the blades on my Hiromotos better, the handle on my Mac is more comfortable. I have pretty big hands, as well.

FWIW, I've owned the VG and the Carbonext. I found the VG to be much more difficult to sharpen. If I were you I'd avoid VG-10 (or whatever mystery steel the VG is actually made from) altogether and stick with semi-stainless or a better stainless like AEB-L.

Back