Mashed potatoes without milk/cream?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure yours are delicious. I like potatoes of most any kind, if they're prepared well. I don't find cream and butter heavy at all. ;-)

A little chix stock and butter, what the heck else do you need? Sound just fine to me!

Yes, except mine are correct and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong!

Oh damn...I forgot about that. What was I thinking? I wonder if Pirsig would agree?

I feel your pain. My brother is law is allergic to all dairy products (some more than others). Last time I had to make them with margarine. I used some garlic salt to season for salt and some minced garlic. Let it sit for 5-10 min, stirred it again and turned out pretty damn good for what it was.

Ah....figures...I always thought of the Buddha when I eat mashed potatoes....well...and gravy...the other godhead of eating.

A little chix stock and butter, what the heck else do you need? Sound just fine to me!

I've only ever made them with cream or milk, so I had no idea if chicken stock is a good alternative or just a reasonable dairy free compromise. Admittedly, I'm not even a big mashed potato fan, but every now and then I get in the mood for some good mashed taters.

I gotta say I really like the sound of ThEoRy's crushed Yukon Gold method. It sounds like the perfect side dish for many of the simple, rustic dishes I like to make.

I also think it's interesting how lively a discussion about mashed potatoes can get!

Do you have a food mill? When I run my hot potatoes (skins on, I don't have time to peel them and the mill doesn't let them pass through anyway) through the food mill, I add chunks of room temperature butter as I go. It's almost like making beurre blanc or hollandaise, the butter melts and kinda emulsifies as the potatoes and butter chunks get milled, and you cant add a TON of butter this way. So much that you hardly need cream anyway. If I were to make some milk/cream free, I would do it this way, use mostly butter and then use some extra virgin olive oil and a splash of stock if they need to be thinned more. You won't miss the cream/milk.

I see some smashed yukon golds in my future. Sounds great!

Here is one of my favorite and can be served as a potato salad or hot. I like them both ways. Amount of ingredients is also to your taste as measurements are really unimportant as it depends on how many potatoes. I do it by guess myself as most of my cooking is done.

Mustard Potato Salad

Potatoes, boiled until tender and diced
Hardboiled eggs, chopped
Celery, chopped
Red onion, chopped
Salad olives w/pimientos, chopped
Prepared mustard (brown, spiced, yellow what ever you prefer)
Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise
Salt and pepper

This is the way my mother made potato salad, so I still do it the same way. I love the olives and red onions in it. There are no set amounts for ingredients. This is just a mix-and-taste type recipe. I like a lot of "stuff" in mine, and I like a lot of mustard.

Mix the potatoes, eggs, celery, onion, and olives together. Add some mustard and Miracle Whip. Mix and taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add more mustard and Miracle Whip as needed.

Back