Matfer carbon steel pan recall scandal

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seems like there’s bit of problem with Matfer pan, lots of reaction as usual, but it is worth sharing. Even tho I agree there’s bit of overreaction since arsenic is kind present in most iron, but Matfer response is not looking good. Hope some in France can share some data, could be they tested the lacquer coating or manufacturing residue, could be just really bad, without data we really don’t know

It’s strange they claim the pans need to be seasoned. As anyone who’s used carbon steel outside of a commercial kitchen where it’s used on gas heat daily with lots of high fat dishes to keep them shiny and dark, at some point it will lose bits of seasoning at home. Between variety of dishes, damage from cooking utensils, or just the act of not washing it after a late night dinner until the morning. Carbon steel seasoning is a delicate spring flower, and I don’t think most people are OCD enough to immediately reseason it after use if they’ve used the pan for over a year and the novelty of seasoning is over. Health concern? Maybe. Health issue? Likely not compared to the massive amount of environmental toxins whatever you cook in the pan is full of. Not something I’m going to lose sleep over.

It’s basically legalese for “please don’t return them. Your pans are the same pans under the recall but we’re not legally obligated to recall them”. I can’t imagine the feed stock for outside the EU is any different.

That being said, while 0.2% doesn’t sound like a small amount by steel standards (there isn’t a carbon steel standard, but it’s probably 1% carbon on the top end), arsenic is pretty much universally bad for steel properties. I’d expect the impacted pans to both be more brittle and corrode faster when you inevitably do damage your seasoning before you fix it.

I wonder if what france did was heat them up to like 400f and then test and found arsenic on surface or something but what matfer is saying that had they been seasoned, then they'd been sealed, so france wouldn't have been able to detect it.. heh

for people who have exp with carbon steel, it's likely not an issue, but for others, beaurocratic types, it's likely is. it may force matfer to use purer metal --> higher price for consumer

Manufacturer: "Okay, so I'll sell you this one for $1.98.

...but if you want the one that won't kill you, it will be $2.05!"

'Mer'can: "How dare you trod on my rights! I refuse to buy your $2.05 pan! In fact, I DEMAND you sell me THREE of your $1.98 pans! One for me and the missus, one for my son, 'Mer'can Jr., and one for my beautiful daughter 'Mer'canetta! Oh, and let me talk to your manager -- I am going to have you fired!"

😁

disclaimer: No 'Mer'cans were harmed during this thread post.

There is a video about this. I suspect that the entire thing is basically a storm in a teacup. You can cook for decades in one of those without accumulating any significant amount of metals.

There is a video about this. I suspect that the entire thing is basically a storm in a teacup. You can cook for decades in one of those without accumulating any significant amount of metals.

BTW I quite like his content on pans, not the most scientific but you got to know the pan before you buy it, also MQ is nice

Also contacted Stargazer since I like their stuff quite abit, their answer seems pretty legit
IMG_4948.jpeg
IMG_4949.jpeg
IMG_4950.jpeg

I’m not seeing a row for Arsenic…?

CoA's/CoC's vary WIDELY as do GDMS results. In fact, I've never seen two GDMS's give the same results.

That CoA is also in percent and not ppm.

I've seen CoA's with no more than five elements listed all the way up to more or less the entire periodic table. Sometimes it means they only report the detection limits of the elements that their lab's GDMS test and sometimes it's just the elements they test for.

Without understanding the CoA, it can be hard to know how much information can be gleamed from them.

Back