Mazaki 170 nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wphill

Reaction score
I've just ordered this knife from cleancut. It's from december 2019 delivery,
at least 50mm tall and about 200gms. I am under the impression that Mazaki
lost some trust among his followers and distributors. Too many renditions, and
some not so good. I have a petty and a 210 from him, circa 2018, and love both.
My current nakiri is a TF that was direct from japan. It had grind issues and in the process
of correcting them I lost the the convex element. Still has great steel and use it often. But,
what I've come to learn is that I miss not having more heft for push cuts. Tall nakiris have
become popular. The drawback is that for me...they are much too heavy. The weight
of 185-200 gms is over looked. I'm anticipating that this is my sweet spot. The wantanabe
pro nakiri would be the other choice but for now is much more expensive. The mazaki payment
was 213 dollars. Anyone else have this nakiri, already?

Carbon knives sells it, too. More expensive.
Perhaps the handle is the added value?

No matter, if mazaki delivers a nakiri that has the same
grind as the 210 (drop nose) but with more heft over the edge this should work out well.

Shipped in three days...or two depending how one counts.
FF very nice. Much better handle than I expected. Very thin behind the edge. Grind is similar to my gyuto and petty. Flat profile but never felt I was hitting the board on the back end. Front is good for draw cuts. Frankly, what I expected. The heft is in the Goldie locks territory. Nothing fancy in the grind, like pronounced convex shape, to push food off. Wet is going to stick....just don’t want stiction. Should work that way. Beats the price of watanabe and six weeks wait. If sin had been more timely in reply to my email, I might have paid up. Have to think mazaki made this batch to please. Who else has the current production? Cc is reliable.

Back