Melding Three-Stone Synthetic "Sets"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado_cutter

Reaction score
Hi Folks- I’ve been using a three-stone set (Bester 500, Beston 1200, Suehiro Rika 5000) for sharpening for the last nine years. Recently, I decided to branch out a little bit and get some different stones to try out. I bought a Gesshin 400, a Shapton Pro 1000, and a Gesshin 3000 (the ceramic/soaker) on BST.

So far, I can at least report that the new (used) stones are not just more of the same. The Gesshin 400 feels a lot smoother than the Bester 500, and doesn’t generate nearly the amount of mud. The Bester just feels a lot softer. The Shapton 1000 seems very quick, but also has a sort of tacky smoothness like it is saying, “I am taking away steel: pay attention!” And whereas the Rika feels smooth, creamy, hydraulic- the Gesshin 3000, even as it is a higher grit than the 400 and the Shapton, feels similarly grindy. Yet it seems to get a pretty good edge.

Everything I’m sharpening is either white #1, white #2, or SK4, aside from some German knives I recently sharpened for my niece. Also, I don’t do any polishing or anything like that.

Probably, I’ll keep the Shapton over the Beston. The Shapton just seems so unflappable. It’s splash and go, too, and it’s my only one of those. Everything else, I’ll continue to permasoak.

And on the coarse side of things, I’ll probably give the nod to the Gesshin. The true test will be when I’m thinning. On the finer end of it, I guess one question is “Which stone do I like better?” but the other question is, “Which stone would follow the Shapton 1000 better?”

Really, sometimes I wonder how high I should go anyway. I’m vegetarian, so no meats to trim or slice. I like a toothy edge for tomatoes and peppers. I figure I’ll try the new stones out and then sell what I don’t need. I’m curious what other people would do in this situation. Which stones would you keep, and why?

John

Since you like toothier edges, I'd recommend using the Shapton 1k, followed by some kind of unloaded strop. Like a dish towel, some kind of paper, leather, etc.

@M1k3

Strop on a dish towel? That’s a new one for me. You cover a hard flat surface with it? I’m gonna try it out
Bath towel in this picture. Same idea though.
294219-PXL-20240301-184245300.jpg

Back