Merion Forge Integral Gyuto 280mm Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So many of you may see my BST post for it, it is an impressive knife. With no taker so far I'd like just to do a pass around first and put it on sell later so more people know what it will feel like. For safety and cost reasons I will restrict this passaround to States for now, sorry international members... First 10 members replied here will be enrolled, account must be over 6 months old or has BST transaction history, the knife is valued at $550 as in the sale post, any damage or loss will be the responsibility of the participants.

Please enter your State also so I can arrange a more efficient route, I live in LA, CA.
Specs as shown in Insta and BST post

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/merion-forge-280mm-integral-knife.68855/

Dang sad I missed this one.

On its way to @PPIIBBSS. Thank you for this @blokey, and I will add my impressions on it later today.

Proof of life photos:

IMG_2629.JPEG
IMG_2628.JPEG

I apologize as I just realized I never posted my thoughts after I sent it off. i am just a home cook of 1, so am very interested in hearing others with a much more intense use of the knife find it. And of course when we are testing it out, we are looking for detail that otherwise might go unnoticed. And as a home cook, technique always needs to be factored in.

First off is the size of it, at least in length, was the largest knife I have used. Substantial in the hand, obviously forward weighted but still easy to use and control, not at all unwieldy. On the sides, the integral bolster was not flush with the handle, while a first for me, mattered not at all with a (my at least) pinch grip. It was very comfortable in the hand, and I had no problem using it on any sized item I was cutting.

So the first thing I made was a large beef stew which I was eating for days (gives me carrots, onion, potatoes to test with). Started with the roast, some very nice blues came early and easily. I had no problem with the onions either, as long as I stuck to the upper 3rd with horizontal cuts (which I normally don't bother with). The tip was great on vertical cuts, and no problem with the dicing anywhere along the blade. This is when I noticed that it was essentially different along each 3rd or so of the knife, though obviously it transitioned gradually. For potatoes, the top 2/3 of the knife performed as expected, with the back third occasionally showing some resistance. Nothing that forceful was needed, I just was aware of it. On very large potatoes this became more pronounced. Some in the middle third, similar to the back on regular ones, but definite wedging toward the back. Again, not hard to get thru any of it but definite wedging. Similar with the carrots, but cracking instead of wedging. I tried to get the largest carrots I could, and did get a few but the majority were on the average side. Same with the size difference on the potatoes, more pronounced the larger the carrots.

In making a salad a day or two later the only thing worth noting was the edge on cherry tomatoes. Given the size of the thing I did not want to force anything and have tomato mush, but it had lost the bite or sharpness to ghost thru the skin. It did not matter with the skin on red bell peppers but I could use a bit of force there. I did a couple light strops on a SP2000 and it was back to ghosting thru them.

Before I sent it off I got a bunch of stuff to test to reinforce my opinions. The thoughts for the stew experience where the same. I added in a couple of sweet potatoes and the results were just exaggerated. Those things are so damn hard I did not push it much.

So overall I found it great to use. With the length of the knife, and the taper, you have a great variety in what you want and how to cut without necessarily grabbing for different knives. If the beast would not be wasted on me I would consider picking it up. Someone mentioned they were looking for a brisket knife recently, and using this that came to mind. I stropped it a couple times and sent it along its way.

Thank you blokey for the pass around! I always feel a bit guilty joining these as I don't have the experience of many others. I will now cease my ramblings.

Back