META Kitchens - Your Tips, Tricks, Hacks, and Advice.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a small bottle of white lightning from the Buffalo Trace distillery for giggles and to see how it compared to ~real~ shine. Hated it, but it makes an excellent pan deglazer.
I’m sure. Instant special effects. I actually keep a bottle of Everclear in the bar to make tinctures for holiday punches. If only they knew what I was serving them.

fwiw, i flush bottles with argon.
I am using VacuVin Wine Saver
1709633332783.png

For cooking, a half-decent boxed wine is fine. I don't subscribe to the "only put what you would drink into the food" thing. By that reasoning, I couldn't cook with shaoxing wine either. As long as it's drinkable and not outright terrible (I don't have to particularly like it), a cheap boxed wine is totally OK for cooking. YMMV.
Although I'm the first to admit that you don't need top quality wine for cooking, most of the boxed **** I have access to is so bland and flat that it's also kinda pointless. If it has no flavor in the glass, it won't add any flavor in the pan. So IMO you need at least a wine that has some decent body to it. Sure as long as it's not too acidic any crappy bargain basement wine won't ruin a dish, but it won't elevate it either.
Lately I've gravitated more towards using wine that I actually don't mind finishing the bottle of.

Do you like it? I've thought about picking one up. How long do you find it will keep a bottle of red at room temp before going bad?

We use one of those vacuum sealers, too. It works quite well and the wine does not seem to oxidize if you pump the vac sealer enough times. We keep opened red wine in the fridge with a vac seal stopper and the wine stays good much longer.

We use one of those vacuum sealers, too. It works quite well and the wine does not seem to oxidize if you pump the vac sealer enough times. We keep opened red wine in the fridge with a vac seal stopper and the wine stays good much longer.
I used to have one and gave it away. IMO, they don’t work better than putting the cork or screw cap back on the bottle.

Yeah it applies to pretty much all drinks. Stuff going sour is a result of microbiological activity, which is slowed down by lower temperatures.
nah, it's oxidation in this case

I got a small bottle of white lightning from the Buffalo Trace distillery for giggles and to see how it compared to ~real~ shine. Hated it, but it makes an excellent pan deglazer.
i actually like drinking that stuff. essence of bread, mmmmmm. i'll have to try cooking with it. good idea.

ok. i buy certain wines for the purpose of cooking. they are good enough to drink, of course, but i usually don't (kind of). problem is that my spouse has the habit of drinking all my (perfectly drinkable) cooking wine, so when i'm about to grab some, in the heat of deglazing or whatever, it is nowhere to be found. very annoying.

and another thing: a bottle of good wine (and up) would never last more than 48hrs in my house. rather 2hrs.

i quit drinking alcohol. i only use it for cooking now.

i have a box of white in my fridge that is still viable after opening it up...awhile ago.

i quit drinking alcohol. i only use it for cooking now.

i have a box of white in my fridge that is still viable after opening it up...awhile ago.
Boxed wine lasts a long time because the bladder doesn't allow air to enter. It is one of Down Under's contributions for the betterment of humankind ;)

I used to use an empty but clean plastic water bottle. I put the leftover wine in, squeeze out the airspace and put the lid on. boom..no air.

no class either, but I drink alone...:D

I keep my sugar in one of those preserving jars. Keeps all the moisture out without problems, and in the rare occasion there's any clumps I can just shake it up to break them.

korken-voorraadpot-met-deksel-helder-glas__0713739_pe729738_s5.jpg

Me too! I have about two dozen of them and keep all my dry goods in them
Oh yeah... I have a big mix of different shapes and sizes. Rices, pastas, sugars, flours, pretty much any staple you can think of... they're my go to storage method.
They're non porous so you never have problem of them taking on odours or colours. They're virtually air tight so things keep well. The only downside I can think of is that they don't stop UV.

Back