META Kitchens - Your Tips, Tricks, Hacks, and Advice.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously been eyeballing them lately for sauces, dressings, purees, etc. Do you think you could use one in a deli container or would it F up the plastic?
You can use a deli. Assuming you are using one wher the Blade is housed fully and could not possibly come in contact with the container.

Speaking of Sharpies... I've found these Milwaukee markers never fail and write over everything, even with or after, water exposure
I bought one of those after seeing the hype. I'm not impressed. The ink's no better than the Sharpie brand. The tip's almost too large to write on smaller labels. And the pocket clip broke off after just a week or two. I've never had a Sharpie brand pocket clip break.

I bought one of those after seeing the hype. I'm not impressed. The ink's no better than the Sharpie brand. The tip's almost too large to write on smaller labels. And the pocket clip broke off after just a week or two. I've never had a Sharpie brand pocket clip break.
writing wet (on slightly masking tape) is where they are leaps and bounds better. But, I really like the click sharpies for kitchens.

Wrapping lettuce in aluminum foil really extends it's life.
Interesting. Why is this? I assume part of it is about keeping air out to prevent oxidation. But why not use a sealable container or plastic bag?

I’m genuinely curious because I really dislike having lettuce go off in the fridge before I can eat it.

Interesting. Why is this? I assume part of it is about keeping air out to prevent oxidation. But why not use a sealable container or plastic bag?

I’m genuinely curious because I really dislike having lettuce go off in the fridge before I can eat it.

I don't honestly know for sure Michi. I saw it somewhere and tried it with some Romaine and it really did work. I normally use a plastic bag and swap out paper towels in the bag as they gather moisture but this was just sort of fire and forget.

And I didn't notice built up moisture when I'd open it.

Now, I haven't done a side-by-side comparison to know for sure but it did seem to keep it fresh longer.

I can't remember if anyone posted this in this thread.

Vermouth makes a very good substitute for white wine. It keeps almost forever. I keep extra dry and sweet on hand. Great in pan sauces and such.

I'm not a wine drinker so full bottles are a waste for me. I do keep the four packs of the cheaper little wine bottles but I reach for the vermouth a lot.

Vermouth makes a very good substitute for white wine. It keeps almost forever. I keep extra dry and sweet on hand. Great in pan sauces and such.

I'm not a wine drinker so full bottles are a waste for me. I do keep the four packs of the cheaper little wine bottles but I reach for the vermouth a lot.
This! I started out my serious-cooking journey reading French-based recipes that often used vermouth instead of white wine, and I just got into the habit. It's more interestingly herbal, and does indeed last longer. Nowadays about the only time I use white wine in cooking is when I have leftovers and have to get rid of it.

Indexing spices was a game changer. I got rid of all the bottles and jars, loaded up on bulk at Kalustyan’s (legendary NYC spice merchant), and bagged everything. Affixed color-coded stickers to each bag and filled up a few Container Store baskets with cloth liners. The indexes are taped to the inside of the pantry door with exp dates. Not only does it cut time and eliminate the frustration of turning a spice rack upside looking for something, but I’ve found it inspires me to try new ingredients. And I know exactly when the spices need replacing. It took a few days, but the payoff was huge.
B499C914-6857-4962-9041-8BFEA4500276.jpeg
5EADC2A9-A1CD-4F27-BD19-1CBCD31F5CD3.jpeg

I particularly like using vermouth in recipes where you add white wine and then reduce. The vermouth is much more concentrated, so you can use a bit less and skip most of the reduction stage.

here is one i use occasionally. about halfway thru making Congee, i will pull out a balloon whisk and whip up the Jook to help the rice grains break apart quicker. speed up eating time!

I do that too. Makes a world of difference.

What are your usual toppings?
toppings are simple for me. i do a chopped cilantro, green onion thing where dump hot oil over it and drizzle with soy sauce. my wife likes peanuts.

Reactions: ian
Vermouth...keeps almost forever.

boooooooooooooooo liaaaaaaaaaaaar

i bet it is good in pan sauces, but i don't think it lasts longer than white wine. my friends and i were all just complaining about this. every time we see vermouth in someone's liquor cabinet and crave a martini, we're always in for disappointment. it's always gone bad.

ime it lasts like a month unless you modify the atmosphere. i've never tried in the fridge, but maybe that helps, too.

maybe the actual kitchen hack is: old vermouth can be used in pan sauces instead of tossed or left in your liquor cabinet to taunt your guests? idk

Last edited:

i bet it is good in pan sauces, but i don't think it lasts longer than white wine. my friends and i were all just complaining about this. every time we see vermouth in someone's liquor cabinet and crave a martini, we're always in for disappointment. it's always gone bad.

ime it lasts like a month unless you modify the atmosphere. i've never tried in the fridge, but maybe that helps, too.

maybe the actual kitchen hack is: old vermouth can be used in pan sauces instead of tossed or left in your liquor cabinet to taunt your guests? idk

I refrigerate it after opening.

Vermouth is fortified wine. It lasts up to a month after opening. Maybe up to three months if refrigerated. A knowledgeable bartender friend says that one of the first things he notices when he visits a new bar, is where they store their vermouth. If it's not in the refrigerator, he is suspicious of their bar knowledge.

Yeah it applies to pretty much all drinks. Stuff going sour is a result of microbiological activity, which is slowed down by lower temperatures.

white wine kept in the fridge keeps a long time for cooking use. a long time.

Not being a wine drinker, I can't offer much rebuttal. Maybe the more accurate thing for me to say should've been vermouth is a good substitute for non-wine drinkers?

I know I leave it in my fridge for at least three months. Does the average white wine hold up as well?

White wine will hold really long actually if you buy bag-in-box. The only problem is finding quality bag-in-box wine.
For cooking, a half-decent boxed wine is fine. I don't subscribe to the "only put what you would drink into the food" thing. By that reasoning, I couldn't cook with shaoxing wine either. As long as it's drinkable and not outright terrible (I don't have to particularly like it), a cheap boxed wine is totally OK for cooking. YMMV.

Back