"Microserrations" after sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2wq9wci.jpg

Looks like a typical wire edge to me. Looks great after sharpening/deburring but fails in use.

Thanks Dave - your thoughts on how to correct at this point?

First, does that section hit the cutting board properly? I've seen many times where a section of an edge doesn't deburr cleanly and then I find that there's a reverse bow in the edge. When that's the situation the edge doesn't contact the strop/stone evenly and skips over that section. I'm reaching on this but I wanted to ask before talking about other stuff.

First, does that section hit the cutting board properly? I've seen many times where a section of an edge doesn't deburr cleanly and then I find that there's a reverse bow in the edge. When that's the situation the edge doesn't contact the strop/stone evenly and skips over that section. I'm reaching on this but I wanted to ask before talking about other stuff.

Haven't noticed trouble with board contact, but only used the knife once since sharpening (have been working late at the office for weeks). I'll check tonight and report back, thanks!

First, does that section hit the cutting board properly? . . .

Alright Dave - I checked it out tonight. sliced raw and cooked chicken breast, cut onions, potatoes, zucchini, and minced garlic. Knife performs very well no noticeable degradation in cutting performance. If it's a wire edge it's holding in position for now.

I checked the edge on the board, no apparent gaps or lack of contact. I mean there is the curve of the blade of course but no weird reverse bows.

Here's pics of board contact for what it's worth. Doesn't really reveal much bc of the curve of the blade but should show that space between the knife and board follows a smooth curve:

2nhoiec.jpg

w98ox1.jpg

What do you think then, just a scrap of burr?

Thanks gentlemen. Haven't been able to remove it using the usual tricks so may just have to be sharpened out. Since the knife seems to be performing just fine I think I'll let it be until it's time to sharpen again, unless you can think of a reason to do otherwise?

for what its worth, if you're having too much trouble with it, just send it to me and i'll sharpen it for you ;)

for what its worth, if you're having too much trouble with it, just send it to me and i'll sharpen it for you ;)

Thanks Jon but this dude's gotta learn to fend for himself! Plus what would I do with all these stones . . . :dazed:

If i get in too far over my head I'll send it your way. Still having fun learning the technique, gotta expect some imperfect results along the way :pardon:

If you have a waterstone hard enough to apply a micro-bevel with, or a high grit solid ceramic stone (Spyderco F), you can make 1-2 passes per side at a high angle (at least double the angle you are sharpening at) with extremely light force to cut off a burr, and then make ~5 alternating passes per side at the angle you were sharpening at with light force to remove the tiny micro-bevel you created.

This process has the virtue of cutting off a burr rather than tearing it off (and weakening the metal behind it in doing so).

If you have a waterstone hard enough to apply a micro-bevel with, or a high grit solid ceramic stone (Spyderco F), you can make 1-2 passes per side at a high angle (at least double the angle you are sharpening at) with extremely light force to cut off a burr, and then make ~5 alternating passes per side at the angle you were sharpening at with light force to remove the tiny micro-bevel you created.

This process has the virtue of cutting off a burr rather than tearing it off (and weakening the metal behind it in doing so).

I have a naniwa 10K . . . Should do the trick?

I put a micro bevel on almost all my knives...

Latest posts

Back