Midtech's

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I trust Bill as well :)

My experience with Bill has only been pure pleasure. He is honest, he is gentle and one of the few people I have met that won't deliver a second.

That is what the ABS would prefer, but i think that it may still be a bit of an "honor system"
last time i talked to a MS a blade not forged or not finished by the maker is not to get theMS stamp (not sure if thats still the case )

hello every one from the rocky mountains. I am still at the mine so will keep this short. Since I will not be hitting these knives while they are hot they will not recieve the MS stamp.

When and where are these going to be available? Did I miss it?

I wil have a couple at the ABS EXPO in San'Antonio the end of this month. these will prototypes and will be more custom than mid tech. Right now I have a 240 mm gyoto and a 88mm petty, if all goes well I will have a 180mm slicer to go with the other two. I did a bunch of cold forging on the 240mm gyoto then thermal cycled it a few times above and below critical the a spherodizing aneal and a triple quench. I am going to sharpen and do some test cutting tomorrow. Also going to have a killer damascus 210mm gyoto laser there as well as the 210mm Tamahagane yanagiba and a couple of other kitchen type knives as well as a couple of hunters. I have the sheet 52100 in hand now for the midtech's just got to get my patterns drawn up in cad and take everything to the water jet guy.

Sounds like somebody might get lucky in SA. :)

I wil have a couple at the ABS EXPO in San'Antonio the end of this month.

Just put in a word with the spouse. I'm tentatively going to this. All it would cost me is a day off work and a tank and a half of gas.

And 1+k in knives

Lol not unless someone gives me a few grand to but them a knife. I'm moving this month.

Is that kind of thing allowed, actually? Do they all go to auction? If it is, I'd totally be a proxy.

It would be great to meet you face to face. There will be an auction at the banquet but only for items donated to support the ABS. Most of the knives in the room will be a first come first serve kind of thing. There will be a preview time where no selling will be allowed. This lets everyone look around and see if there is something that they really want. If there is a lot of "want " for a makers knife he may do a raffle drawing for it/them but most don't. As far as I know proxy buying is no problem and has never even been mentioned.

Lol not unless someone gives me a few grand to but them a knife. I'm moving this month.

Is that kind of thing allowed, actually? Do they all go to auction? If it is, I'd totally be a proxy.

I wil have a couple at the ABS EXPO in San'Antonio the end of this month. these will prototypes and will be more custom than mid tech. Right now I have a 240 mm gyoto and a 88mm petty, if all goes well I will have a 180mm slicer to go with the other two. I did a bunch of cold forging on the 240mm gyoto then thermal cycled it a few times above and below critical the a spherodizing aneal and a triple quench. I am going to sharpen and do some test cutting tomorrow. Also going to have a killer damascus 210mm gyoto laser there as well as the 210mm Tamahagane yanagiba and a couple of other kitchen type knives as well as a couple of hunters. I have the sheet 52100 in hand now for the midtech's just got to get my patterns drawn up in cad and take everything to the water jet guy.
Bill, what size and thickness sheet of 52100 were you able to score and more importantly, where did you find it?:D

I was able to obtain some 1/8th inch from sheffield supply. it come in 6inch wide and three feet long. seems to work good so far.

Bill, what size and thickness sheet of 52100 were you able to score and more importantly, where did you find it?:D

I think the Mid Tech Burke is a horrible idea because it would put it in a range I might end up buying one! After seeing Colin's suji Bill has been at the very top of my list but can't afford a 1k+ knife even if I could get in on one ... at mid tech pricing and availability the wife and I might have to have a conversation or two. Please no one keep me informed about this *cough* Bill I PMed you my email*cough*

Kind Regards

Bryan

Any chance we can get an inside scoop on a profile...pic of a cardboard cutout perhaps?

Any chance we can get an inside scoop on a profile...pic of a cardboard cutout perhaps?

there might be a way to arrange that. I am heading to the mountains today but I'll put something up when I get back home.

I was able to obtain some 1/8th inch from sheffield supply. it come in 6inch wide and three feet long. seems to work good so far.
Excellent. They are not too far away from me. Let us know how it works.

Back