• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTT Milan 272mm Full Kasumi Polish Wrought Clad Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkayMode

I am the pig Daveb's mama was talking about
Reaction score
*Going to put this at the top of the ad to be very clear that I am ONLY looking to trade this for another Milan knife in his classic lower bevel style, ideally between 240-270mm!*

Current Pics:

Specs:
- 135cr3 & wrought damascus cladding
- Full stone-ready convex geometry
- 272mm edge length
- 56mm heel height
- 4 to 0.8mm spine thickness
- 272g
- Hexagonal thuya burl handle and stainless steel cap
- Official certified banger

History & More Info:
- I bought this last year from this listing (https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/milan-full-polish-272-mm-gyuto.68339/#post-1048822) and am the third owner.
- To my understanding it has been sharpened at least once, but I didn't notice this myself as it's still very thin and there's barely a microbevel.
- Before it was sold to Romain, it was sent to a sharpener who sadly refreshed the patina by using sandpaper and an etch, which nuked Milan's original natural stone polished finish. I have since put a lot (and I do mean a lot) of time, effort, and learning into restoring the natural stone polish.
- As a result of my work restoring the polish, I can confidently say that the geometry on this knife is absolutely flawless. A full kasumi polish is well beyond my skillset if we are being realistic, but the precision with which Milan set the foundational geometry on this knife made it feel like cheating.
- I used a progression of Uchigumori, Shobu Asagi and hard Eastern Suita Jnats to remove the sandpaper scratches, polish up the core and overshoot the desired level of refinement on the cladding, and then pulled the latter back down with fingerstones. I finished up by doing a few cycles of etching followed by fingerstone passes to get a nice balance of contrast and detail on the cladding, with nail polish applied to the core throughout this stage to preserve the organic lustre from the Jnats.
- There are still a small handful of artefacts remaining, but I think it's a pretty nice finish at this stage (although you would have no difficulty refining further if you were a masochist and enjoyed that sort of thing).
- I haven't touched the edge.
- I am putting this up for a trade because after all that work to restore the finish, I just can't bring myself to break the seal and use it - which is a crying shame because it's a fantastic performer.

Trades & Trade Value etc:
- Assigning a trade value is a pretty challenging tightrope to balance, especially given I have invested quite a bit of my time to restore a stone polished finish, but i'll base it off the previous listing at £1,500.
- I am only interested in trading this for another Milan knife between 240-270mm, preferably in his lower bevel style with beefier geometry, ideally wrought clad, and in a perfect world with some kind of deep etch/twist feature. But hit me up with what you've got.
- Generally speaking, I am anticipating close to a straight trade with only minimal top up cash either way. The trade value stated above is pretty subjective and obviously i'm not going to be that interested in adding $$$ my end for something of similar or less exotic specs! 🙂

Original Listing:

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Forgot the damn choil!!

IMG_1851.jpeg

Back