Milan Gravier Gyuto Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super excited to be a part of this! Was looking closely at this marker recently so this will be interesting for sure :)

Very cool...not sure how I missed this. I have been following him and talking to him a fair amount on IG. Came very close to pulling the trigger on a few of his recent ones. Can’t wait to hear what people think. Just FYI he has a couple available on his website. Been eyeing up the one petty.

I received the knife today. Looks nice and we'll executed. Pretty light. Fit and finish is pretty good.

Took it to work....

I was a bit disappointed.

I started with slicing onions. The bolster/spacer to spine arrangement rubs my hand with a corner. It was uncomfortable. But I continued. Cut some more of my prep. No real complaints. Cladding is reactive, stopped discoloring stuff after the second onion.

You know that scene in the movie Dude, Where's My Car? where there at the drive thru?

"Aaannnddddd ttthhheeenn"

20200530_185210.jpg

Stiction AND poor food release meet. Promptly cleaned the blade off and put it away. Continued the night with my Gengetsu.

Seems it would be good with a little massaging of the bolster/spacer and not cutting dense, stiff product. Stick to lettuce and leafy herbs.

Thank you for letting me use the knife @soigne_west.

Interesting. Thanks for the review. I didn’t notice that much of a problem with potatoes or food release. Then again I think I used it for once or twice in a home kitchen then sent it out. Appreciate your input!

Interesting. Thanks for the review. I didn’t notice that much of a problem with potatoes or food release. Then again I think I used it for once or twice in a home kitchen then sent it out. Appreciate your input!
In the knifes defense, the potatoes were cold water soaked ones. The worst..

I just want to add a few thoughts. It's a well put together knife and performed great on onions, jalapeno peppers, dicing Shallott, etc. It only faltered, for me, with cold water soaked potatoes. Which not money people will encounter. It did take a nice patina, that I forgot to take pictures of..... Basically hard, tall produce it'll struggle with, hard squash and similar. Everything else it'll be fine. Thanks again @soigne_west for the opportunity.

@M1k3, being as I didn’t really use the knife much, let alone in a pro kitchen for hours long prep sesh, did you find it hurt your hand?

@M1k3, being as I didn’t really use the knife much, let alone in a pro kitchen for hours long prep sesh, did you find it hurt your hand?
Not really hurt it. Uncomfortable. If the bolster part was a wee bit smaller or tapered a bit more the last few 4-7mm or so, it would improve the comfortably. Granted I used it for about 3 hours of prep, not non-stop cutting though.

Sorry for taking so long.

Here’s that photo of the patina, since @M1k3 missed it.

AAA42069-8B1C-430D-B695-32CC521D5D79.jpeg

Personally, I think the knife and handle look really nice, but I did notice the discomfort in the handle @M1k3 mentioned. For long periods of time, I can see it being an issue and I would probably prefer a traditional handle. For a home cook like me, it probably wouldn’t matter.

The knife felt very light and nimble, a little surprising given the height. It’s very thin, and I’d be hesitant to try to put it through super dense veg, but it handled most of the produce I put it through well. The densest product I cut were lotus roots, which it struggled with a bit, but not much more than my other knives. Unfortunately, I was able to recreate the wet potato incident pretty consistently, though I don’t think it’ll be an issue for non-professionals as, again, we just don’t cut enough stuff for it to matter.

I only ran it very lightly across some stones, but the comparison to shiro seems accurate to me. Just a couple strokes were enough to start feeling a burr.

All in all, I think anyone cooking at home would be very happy with the knife, though I can’t speak to it’s utility in a pro kitchen.

Thank you for the opportunity to use this knife, pass-arounds are a great idea and fun.
To be honest, this is not my style of knife. I found it to be too tall and I'm not a fan of wide bevels, preferring convexed grinds.
I used the knife to make a couple of vegy stir frys and some salsa fresca.
It did really well at rocking/guillotine and glide on finely slicing/dicing ginger, serano, and onions, but I wish it had a narrower more spear pointed tip for dismembering broccoli florets and for deveining serano peppers.
And in general wished it felt more nimble, I do like the balance.
I also found the handle to be uncomfortable, the angular shapped metal part on the side of the handle near the blade poked into my thumb.
When I received it it didn't cut tomatoes well so I put a Chosera 800 grit edge on it. The steel sharpened very easily and cut paper very smoothly. The edge then cut tomatoes easily with just the right amount of toothyness but lost some of that toothyness and bite after dicing a couple of tomatoes.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back