Minimum equipment for a functioning kitchen?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I think I am beyond that stage, but not bad for someone who starts with nothing. My favorite quote: "People not only obsess about knives (and write entire articles about them), but you can easily spend over $100 on just one." hahahaha :) 'Easily $500' is more like it ;)

Stefan

Thanks, I think I am beyond that stage, but not bad for someone who starts with nothing. My favorite quote: "People not only obsess about knives (and write entire articles about them), but you can easily spend over $100 on just one." hahahaha :) 'Easily $500' is more like it ;)

Stefan

I laughed at the knife talk too. :)

And I know you are way beyond this in terms of what you have and what you need, just found his list interesting.

Ya those knives for a beginning cook until it gets dull after 10 min. then they are back to were they started.

I have been packing up stuff for the move over the past week - little longer, actually. Maybe I could have been faster and more concentrated, but I also remember that when I moved out here I had 7 professionals packing the boxes that I have been packing pretty much alone. I threw away about a container full of stuff, including wonderful things like a chocolate temperer (doesn't everybody need one of those for making truffles?) about 1,700 or so storage containers without lids and lids without containers, and a plate warmer - plates are warm enough in Hawaii... I think I missed a chance to just fill another container full of stuff and throw them away, but I haven't yet given up on moving into civilized environment again at some point. But I did realized that 80% of all my boxes are either kitchen stuff or cook books.

I was - very reluctantly - trying to sell some of my furniture, but looks like there are no takers. People are so mobile in Hawaii that there are tons of moving sales, and if you don't give everything away for free, nobody bites. What I see happening is that I give it all away, then one of my job application comes through, I move into a larger place again, and have to buy it all new. I really hate moving.

Stefan

I have been packing up stuff for the move over the past week - little longer, actually. Maybe I could have been faster and more concentrated, but I also remember that when I moved out here I had 7 professionals packing the boxes that I have been packing pretty much alone. I threw away about a container full of stuff, including wonderful things like a chocolate temperer (doesn't everybody need one of those for making truffles?) about 1,700 or so storage containers without lids and lids without containers, and a plate warmer - plates are warm enough in Hawaii... I think I missed a chance to just fill another container full of stuff and throw them away, but I haven't yet given up on moving into civilized environment again at some point. But I did realized that 80% of all my boxes are either kitchen stuff or cook books.

I was - very reluctantly - trying to sell some of my furniture, but looks like there are no takers. People are so mobile in Hawaii that there are tons of moving sales, and if you don't give everything away for free, nobody bites. What I see happening is that I give it all away, then one of my job application comes through, I move into a larger place again, and have to buy it all new. I really hate moving.

Stefan

Stefan, I hope it works out for you. I am four years from retirement and am thinking of moving the Hawai'i. My GF is garaunteed a job there no matter what, maybe we will grab another beer some day.

Induction Portable burner. I've been playing around with this Duxtop 1800 burner lately and have found it very useful, more so in a small kitchen too. Give off little heat in the space even when using it for frying. Works awesome with my debuyer pans too

Stefan, you should sell your crazy kitchen stuff here on KKF! I mean, I know shipping is a bear, but you'd make a little cash and it wouldn't go to the landfill.

I'm sure someone wants a chocolate temperer, and anything you had that you vouch for would save someone shopping time.

lol and a great reason to go pick up some kitchen stuff from our 50th state.:spiteful:

For 6 months?

And minimum? buy one RÔTISSOIRE, you propably have knivs and board so is this one dish you could make boulangere, bourguignons and cassoulets, basically you can fry in it, roast in it, bake in it, steam in it, cook stocks in it, so unless you want to make some elaborate meals for yourself, its all you need.

So the way I see it is you just drop everything in there like its hot along with seared piece of something red and juicy, cover and roast roast roast.
You want steamed fish? put some water in it, cover with cloth and tighten with cling film around so the cloth stays tensed. Bang some veggies on top, add fish when theyre half way and cover with the usefu lid.

Job done.

Any kind of spoon/spatula will be a nice addition.

Well, I moved and could not contain myself, packed way too much. Between kitchen stuff, cook books, and wine glasses my stuff filled approx 35-40 small or medium boxes. Now that I am in the new place, I am wondering whether I would miss anything if I never opened the 30 boxes that went into storage again. I think I missed a chance for a clean cut. But after feeling cheated out of what I considered a good job, letting my stuff go felt just like another loss. Well, lots of unpacking ahead of me... Not tonight, though, totally beat from schlepping things through the heat.

Stefan

Back