Miyabi 600MCD - Second Opinions Please?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Guys. Thanks for all the info.
I knew the Takamura Hana ticked a bunch of boxes for me and being gorgeous helps.
But I didn't know was that thin.
That that reason, the Takamura R2 has always been on my mind.

hmmm, the Miyabi is still the cheapest of the lot.
And by a fair margin :scratchhead:
I want them all. :(

Maybe I'll get the Miyabi now,
then the Takamura Hana next, and eventually the Tanaka.

tjangula,
Short of the Tanaka Ironwood, it seems you own all the knives I've been considering.
Any thoughts?

If you compare the distal 1/3 of the Takamura Blazen to the thinner red-handled Takamura, you'll see that the distal portions of the knife are equally thin. That Blazen will fly through product if you tip-chop.

I love your mirror finishes! Sexy! Or maybe it's just the way the photos came out.

Ya I can't say that the thickness of the Pro has been a problem, glides thru onions in nice horizontal motions. I do find that cutting cabbages tend to stick to the side more than my Misono Swedish steel (basically just "pops" off when it touches the cutting board) but that's not an end all comparison and why most have more than one knife.

It must be the way the pics came in, I haven't mirror polished. There are some mineral deposits visible on the bottom two Takamuras from cutting a lot of celery, kale and spinach. Can scrape off with your finger nail but not that big a deal yet.

tjangula,
Short of the Tanaka Ironwood, it seems you own all the knives I've been considering.
Any thoughts?

Well I like the Miyabi because it's ZDP and not too tall (although I do also like tall blades), I find the "overall package" well executed with this knife. It fits in the standard 210mm gyuto saya well. I wish it was a wa handle but may rehandle at some point along with the matching parer (probably just yo style instead of a conversion). The Damascus is basically mirror polished, I mentioned because iirc you had indicated a preference for the darker Damascus. Another plus is the price and the fact Henckels will stand behind it (easy warranty if defective)

That said the Hana seems to have more character, and the R2 is a knife I wouldn't want to be without. I I could only have three knives it'd probably be the HSPS Pro 240 gyuto, 270 Suji and 130 petty (plus a beater or two for rough work ;))

I also have noticed your aversion to carbon and tradition wa handles with stick tang. I would recommend venturing into these territories at some point. I find that in general carbon isn't as reactive as the fear mongering has us believe, and the options are endless for handles with the traditional wa style (check out some of our vendors, or email me if you want some particular info), they are actually really comfortable and the F&F is good. This is just part of my personal preference so it may not apply to your cooking situation (perhaps carbon is unsuitable?), but just wanted to mention as other options to keep in mind.

Feel free to ask if there are any other questions.

hmmmm,

Just got back from looking at the 600MCD at the shop.
The black is a bit glossy. And the bolster is polished. Didn't like that, but not a deal breaker.

Feels heavy though.
I thought this 600D was acceptable, but this felt heavier for some reason, but the dimension seem identical.
I might have to go back again.

tjangula, you don't happen to have its weights handy?

Takamura R2 = 147g
600D = 197g
Tojiro DP = 199g
Yoshikane SKD Western = 247g

Takamura Hana = ?
600MCD = ?

I know carbon isn't that bad. My Yoshikane has a reactive core.
You're right, I might have to look towards a wa-handle.

hmmmm,

Just got back from looking at the 600MCD at the shop.
The black is a bit glossy. And the bolster is polished. Didn't like that, but not a deal breaker.

Feels heavy though.
I thought this 600D was acceptable, but this felt heavier for some reason, but the dimension seem identical.
I might have to go back again.

tjangula, you don't happen to have its weights handy?

Takamura R2 = 147g
600D = 197g
Tojiro DP = 199g
Yoshikane SKD Western = 247g

Takamura Hana = ?
600MCD = ?

I know carbon isn't that bad. My Yoshikane has a reactive core.
You're right, I might have to look towards a wa-handle.

I'll get the weights after work and update. I'm not a fan of the stock handle on the 600mcd, although the liners are a nice touch. Good excuse to rehandle.

My bad about the carbon remark, I'm not very familiar with Yoshikane. I may also retract my previous comment about my three Takamura HSPS Pro knives, I do like them a lot, and they certainly would are adequate, but I should have also included a Carter, Shig and/or Watanabe.

Back