Miyabi birchwood gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilgawd

Reaction score
Hi

Ive notice that most of you hate henckels/shun/wusthof/etc all the "big brand" and I can understand for the most part as I have a handmade knife and lots of german knifes and its night and day. I do have the Miyabi birchwood petty and to my surprise its performing very well .

My question is , other then "for the price you can get better" , why wouldn't you recommend the miyabi birchwood ? If you could get your hand on one for a decent price would you pass or go for it ?

Im not really in need for a new knife but you know :) *addict*
Considering i really like the petty im tempted to go for it but if i should stay away from the big brand and get a "logical" reason not to go for it , id like to hear it

Awaiting feedback

Thanks

I've used more than a few and find universally the handle is too small for the knife and that there is not enough clearance for me to hold knife and do board work. (Important characteristic for a chef or gyuto) And the knife has more belly than I do. In short (and in my opinion) the Miyabi is Henckel's attempt to be in the Japanese Knife market. Not particularly well executed. Yawn.

Haven't handled them - how is the weight balance?

But realistically, I'd be more tempted by a Shibata or Echizen Uchihamono when it comes to SG2 in that price range :)

I can say that I dig the look. Was very close to buy a petty but then funds..... :)

Im remote to any decent knife shop ( well there is one but its out of budget) anyhow , i cannot hold any of those knifes .
Daveb : thats the first time i hear that comment about the handle ... now it makes me wonder

The shibata is a fine knife but unfortunately price wise I can get the miyabi for much less. I could get my hand on the 8" for 180$usd ( shibata would be 100$ more)

I believe a large amount of the cost if the knife in this case goes to marketing. I also believe you get what you pay for and I'd personally rather not pay too much toward marketing.

Buy a Tanaka from James:)

...and with Zwilling/Myabi i'd be more tempted by either the MC66 based ones (and/or Cermax) - since WHEN they are on sale, they are the cheapest ZDP option around!, or the FC61 based ones.

...and with Zwilling/Myabi i'd be more tempted by either the MC66 based ones (and/or Cermax) - since WHEN they are on sale, they are the cheapest ZDP option around!, or the FC61 based ones.

So 180$ for the miyabi birchwood is not a good deal ?

That it is a good buy for that price. A Takamura R2 would outperform it for a bit less, but it doesn't have the same level of bling, and performance-wise the Miyabi is definitely no slouch.

The handle size and knuckle clearance are not generous, but if you don't have thick hands, you'll be fine. I use and happily use knives that have even less clearance than the Miyabi.

no offense, but w. your username I don't believe anyone would expect differently:rofl2:
:laugh: No offense taken. Funny thing is, I no longer own any Miyabi knives. I did try most of them though and would buy the Birchwood line if it was on sale.

I guess naming the knife line Wabi-sabi doesn't have the same ring to it

Sounds like a good name for a joke wasabi-spiked alcoholic drink though. Bartender, a Wabi-sabi for my friend here

There are also the Miyabi Mizu and Artisan lines, both also use SG2. Usually a bit cheaper. 8 inch gyutos available for around $150. They have a hammered look, rather than damascus, for the blade, but the core steel and heat treatment appear the same as the birchwood.

@richard I would say the meaning of that word actually fits the aesthetics of the epynomous products very well.

"Miyabi tried to stay away from the rustic and crude, and in doing so, prevented the traditionally trained courtiers from expressing real feelings in their works" that means it won't fit ME :)

There are also the Miyabi Mizu and Artisan lines, both also use SG2. Usually a bit cheaper. 8 inch gyutos available for around $150. They have a hammered look, rather than damascus, for the blade, but the core steel and heat treatment appear the same as the birchwood.

Those have a thicker grind than the Birchwood, and are heavier

Im torn here ...

I do like the Miyabi birchwood look , havent handle the gyuto but the petty is very nice and havent had to sharpen it yet ... on the other hand , i do understand its a more commercial product versus something handmade by an artisan and its not mass produced.

This will likely be my last knife for a little while so while I do get a very good deal on this knife,I am wondering if I will regret not putting more money on a better knife in the long run

Im not a professional cook so im leaning toward I should just go with the deal ...

ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!

Question : Ive never had to sharpen SG2 blade - any feedback on this ?

Again huge thanks to all who contributed to this thread

There is nothing wrong on buying things based on the looks as long as you know/care about the downsides.
You do not need to spend much more on perhaps a better knife, there are several good options around $200 mark. It does not mean you will like how they look or feel the "connection". They will just be a better performers.

When I bought my first expensive knife, I thought the same, no more for a while. The while lasted less than 4 months :))

Ruso : issue is I just bought a few knifes recently and wife would likely try to stab me with one of them if i buy another one :)
I really like the petty , but again as I mentioned , i cannot hold and feel the gyuto ... and as with every good thing , price doesn't always reflect quality and/or personal preference

Richard : I use JNS 1000 MATUKUSUYAMA + JNS 6000 MATUKUSUYAMA
I also have a zwilling 250/100 , but its very coarse so really only if things go south

OK I don't think you should have any issues with sharpening it with what you have. The handle of the Birchwood 8" feels very good, and it has a good balance/feel overall. I think it's definitely not a bad choice. Since you're in Canada, in general knives are more expensive to get there.

Yes there are more expensive , this is why im pretty tempted by this deal even if it wouldn't be my #1 choice ... but everything that id want is at least 100$ more expensive ( likely more )

So, a couple of reasons why not to buy Miyabi vs. the many suggested knives here.
A) Miyabi is a mass produced knife that should be much cheaper but for marketing costs and flashy handle. Better to get a hand made quality knife.
B) whilst looking at the R2 spec, it means nothing if the heat treatment is poor. Not to say the Miyabi is poor, but mass produced knives are less likely to pick up bad ones. Better to go a hand made knife that a master smith has spent decades perfecting the heat treatment. Some stick to only one metal type because heat treatment is so important and difficult to produce at high quality.
C) if you like the handle so much, get a custom handle once you have found your wonder knife!

Just some thoughts.

In that price range get a Takamura R2 Migaki with red handle. If it sings to you, upgrade the handle.

@faboylim upgrade it? I think the Takamura red has one of the most elegant yo handles ever....

Back