Mizuno Nikiri has brown kasumi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon082

Reaction score
I literally just took delivery of this Mizuno tanrenjo white steel nikiri, I once had a masamoto nikiri that I gave away to a young aspiring kitchen assistant. Ofcourse as usual JCK never has what I want in stock, heard good things back in the day for mizuno especially there gyuto and so went that route.

Thing is I have never seen a brown kasumi finish, the pictures are no where near what it looks like in person, what causes this?. I dont have good photography skills to behold brown.
1000005473.jpg
1000005472.jpg

Last edited:
From the image, it seems smooth without any pits. It probably wasn't done using sandblasting.
It looks like it was made using a soft material with abrasive stone powder for polishing.
However, judging from the wear on the black surface in the middle, it seems to be the result of sandblasting. It's also possible that very fine sandblasting materials were used.

If you wash off the oil that prevents oxidation ,and using a smartphone with macro functionality for close-up shots can provide a better assessment.

From the image, it seems smooth without any pits. It probably wasn't done using sandblasting.
It looks like it was made using a soft material with abrasive stone powder for polishing.
However, judging from the wear on the black surface in the middle, it seems to be the result of sandblasting. It's also possible that very fine sandblasting materials were used.

If you wash off the oil that prevents oxidation ,and using a smartphone with macro functionality for close-up shots can provide a better assessment.
I was hoping for some good sunlight but got a storm and rain instead. I was surprised how rough this mizuno is finished considering the reputation, all my munetoshi knives are impeccable comparing them to the nikiri.

Thank you all for your comments. Here's some F&F pics which most had to be binned due to lighting and underexposed images. Even then you can see the harshness of the spine with sharp edges(same as tang), almost no distal taper with a over stamped kanji seal, the grind is ok nothings to write home about I say medium grind that quickly tapers from the hamon? down(clearly convex grind), large filled in gaps at handle.

Maybe I have spoilt myself with Munetoshi:rolleyes:. If anyone is looking for budget Kurouchi nikiri just buy a munetoshi.
1000005485.jpg
1000005484.jpg

Last edited:
Back