• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Mizuno Tanrenjo 270mm gyuto-$300

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only 250mm even though its a 270? the discrepancy due to a wa-handle is that large? Thanks for the quick reply btw tk.

Only 250mm even though its a 270? the discrepancy due to a wa-handle is that large? Thanks for the quick reply btw tk.

I can't find the link that references this but, wa-handled knives are measured from handle to tip as opposed to western handled knives that are measured from the heal of the blade to the tip.

I can't find the link that references this but, wa-handled knives are measured from handle to tip as opposed to western handled knives that are measured from the heal of the blade to the tip.

I am aware of this, 20mm just seems like a large difference. The 2 wa handled knives I own are much closer to the stated length than that. In fact the Hiro 300 wa is 300mm along the edge.

I am aware of this, 20mm just seems like a large difference. The 2 wa handled knives I own are much closer to the stated length than that. In fact the Hiro 300 wa is 300mm along the edge.

If the knife has machi, it is measured from handle to tip. Blades without machi are measured from heel to tip. But some makers measure differently, so there can be a bit of variation; 2cm seems quite reasonable for the handle to blade gap.

I never measured it. I thought it was a 240 and I could tell it was longer than that. Perhaps it is a true 270. Sorry for the confusion.:stinker: Pesky will just have to measure it.

Mizuno measures from the handle. The cutting edges on my 240s are all around 223 ish.

I have to apologize for not answering the questions about length etc... I have been busy at work an have been unable to get to the post office before it closes. I will try to grab it ASAP and get everyone the info they are looking for.

Pesky

OK, I stole a ruler from work. The magic numbers are 256mm length and 48mm height.

Bump...seriously, nobody wants a kickass workhorse? If I was still working the line I would be all over this. Blue #2, great geometry.

Guys I am the original owner of this knife. I can't believe it hasnt sold yet either. I only sold it because I wanted a really nice line knife (so I needed some cash) and had just received a Heiji gyuto as a gift (so I had another great gyuto) This guy was a serious work horse for me and cut like a mother. Someone buy it cuz I don't have the change to buy it back but definitely would if I could.

Sounds like a discount is in order. :poke1:

This showed up today, with some patina and some red patches. I think the red is from shipping.

Good to hear that this showed up. Patina is from chilis in adobo. Wasn't shipped that way. Let me know how it cuts.

will do have a cantalope I will be taking to work. I am allergic but it makes for a good breakfast for crew mates.

Back