Moritaka - how long?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rant: I was just sent a link to more comments from the other side of the fence. I'll leave out the deflecting ramblings of the mad man but I just have to copy this one thing that his boss wrote. Why? Because it irks me, because I'm not in a good mood right now, but most of all because it's once again showing where they want the issue to be driven to. If you're not in the mood for my rant then please skip over the rest of this post.

Ken's boss wrote....

The real question is why anyone that fancies himself a knife maker would want to spend anytime bashing another knife maker, especially a tiny, family run business? There aren't many of these guys left in the world. Believe me I look.

I used fancy myself a person who owns a small family run business. I used to fancy myself someone who helps other retailers by inviting them into a community, into a forum, with the idea of helping them build up their stagnating online knife store by introducing them to something that I found valuable and something that I helped to create. I also used to fancy myself a trusting person who believes a person when they say that they won't sell stones (AKA compete directly with me) on the same forum that I just invited them onto and introduced them to.

Now, I fancy myself an ex retailer of stones, a struggling knifemaker, and a father of uninsured children who can not provide the care that they need. I also fancy myself someone who's been deceived and someone who's lost faith in the concept of helping others. However, I fancy myself (still) as a person who cares about his fellow man enough not to screw them over for more $$ and I fancy myself caring more for them than I do for the a**holes selling these crappy knives or the makers who are pumping them out.

I fancy myself continuing to tell the owners of these bad knives the truth about why I can't fix them - the truth being that they got hosed by a retailer and/or knife maker who knowingly sold them a potentially defective product. I fancy this behavior because it's the right thing to do - not because it makes me $1 more than I have right now and in fact will likely cost me a great deal more $$ in lost shipping costs, lost time spent screwing around with packaging, inspecting, and communication.

This is not a Dave issue - it's a Moritaka issue - at the core it belongs to them yet it bleeds on from there. I believe that any retailer being aware of potential issues with these knives and yet still continuing to sell them will get what they fancy in the end and likely more. :)

Ultimately what I'd fancy here is for Moritaka to spend 30 mins re-training uncle on the wheel to stop making these mistakes and then for this discussion to be at an end.

Rant mode off>>>

It's not bashing if there truly is an issue. Irrespective of what was revealed to you in private conversation, at least in public they're sticking to the "there's no problem here!" position. If they and Moritaka stick to that position, this won't go away.

Save who we can from getting screwed over, or at least warn them of the gamble that they may be taking. That's all we can do.

:knife:The Burr that never goes away .

but Eamon is my new hero

I'm just trying to get a simple question answered!! I don't want to be in the middle of this, lol.

Well, here is my 2 cents. I was given a Moritaka in Japan. I brought it back and after a little use I was planning on a custom job from them. That was till I sharpened it and realized that I too was an over grind victim. I still have the knife and I abuse the hell it of it. I call it my Mori-ka-ka.

As for Ken, I have had one and only one dealing with him. True to his reputation his information was real snake oil and he tried to manipulate the whole thing to his advantage. I wouldn't trust the guy to do business on the up and up. No better place to buy snake oil than from a snake in the grass.

Just so that a noobie to this issue is clear - Am I correct that the "supreme" line that is being talked about here is the "Aogami Super Series" in this link:
http://www.moritakahamono.com/en/hocyo1-3.html

while the "regular" line with the over grind problems is the "Standard" series in this link:
http://www.moritakahamono.com/en/hocyo1-1.html

I was about to order from the Aogami Super Series and want to be sure that I am not going for the problem line of knives.

from what ive read, overgrind issues can affect all those series.

from what ive read, overgrind issues can affect all those series.
Then can someone give me a link on their web site that points to the line of knives without the problem? It has been stated a few times in this thread (and I admit to not having read all 37 pages) that the "supreme" line seems to have avoided this problem.

Then can someone give me a link on their web site that points to the line of knives without the problem? It has been stated a few times in this thread (and I admit to not having read all 37 pages) that the "supreme" line seems to have avoided this problem.

We've seen problems from all of their lines, just a lot less from the high end customs purchased directly from the company, but then so very few people actually have those high end knives vs so many people who have the cheap ones........so.....as far as I'm concerned you takes yer chances with Moritaka and the odds aren't in your favor.

takedas are pretty awesome. if youre bummed that moritaka has a bad track record just save the extra $$$ and get a takeda instead.

If I were to be the primary user I'd probably consider the Takeda. However, this is to be a "wifeknife" - My wife wants a new santoku (PLEASE - no editorials here) and I'm trying to bring her around to something better than her current big box store clunker.

Any suggestions for other makers in the under $200 range would be appreciated. I was hoping to try Aogami Super but am open to other carbon steels.

If I were to be the primary user I'd probably consider the Takeda. However, this is to be a "wifeknife" - My wife wants a new santoku (PLEASE - no editorials here) and I'm trying to bring her around to something better than her current big box store clunker.

Any suggestions for other makers in the under $200 range would be appreciated. I was hoping to try Aogami Super but am open to other carbon steels.

Hope this doesn't derail the thread but you could look at Watanabe pro santoku. Same rustic look, blue steel. It will run you slightly above your budget by 25$ or so including shipping but you are getting a quality, hand made knife from a well known and respected maker. There are also cheaper options from his standard line which are great knives as well.

Hiromoto.

I used a Zakuri AS for a while and was super impressed
To get the thread somewhat back on track...

My wife "surprised" me today by telling me that she ordered the Moritaka on her own, as I had been showing it to her in my effort to get to to abandon her clunker.

I immediately emailed Moritaka and cancelled the order, specifically telling them that I had heard too many bad reports concerned the over grind problem and the fact that it did not seem to have been resolved over the course of time. Their website currently has a message up that their person "in charge" who handles email (I'm assuming from English speaking countries) is away until next week and there won't be any replies until then.

I ordered the Zakuri a few minutes ago. Jon was very helpful with some questions I had prior to pulling the trigger.

Thank to all for the info and suggestions. I'll post any relevant reply I get from Moritaka.

Hehehehe, you should have shown her a Shigefusa or Artisugu ;)

Hehehehe, you should have shown her a Shigefusa or Artisugu ;)

One step at a time... one step at a time. After 45 years of marriage I know the path. I just took her to Korin and she picked out a Togiharu 210 Damascus gyuto for her "big" knife.

I have two Moritaka knives of the "supreem" series (AS kuriochi), the "KS" model and a santoku. There are no grind issues on the 165mm santoku that I have appreciated. The 250mm KS has three areas (holes/ overgrinds) that concern me. They may "sharpen out", but only time will tell. The first J knife I bought after the Shun's (years ago) were some inexspensive Tojiro ITK. They too have some over grind issues on all four of their knives I bought. Live and learn.

sorry to hear about the grind issues. i used to love my moritaka ks. but the thought of losing metal to fix an overgrind on that knife worries me. its already so short at the heel.

Long story. 39 pages know. But frankly I don't understand the problem. It is impossible to over grind the Japanese knife. The thinner - the better. I have three Moritaka knives and they are perfect. It's a strange theme. Through 39 pages there is no real evidence with photo. Only just talk about same intangible issues. This is just my opinion.

Here's the one of the two that will photograph some of the issues....now try to dispute this....

attachment.php

Yeah, this picture earlier in the thread never happened apparently.

Long story. 39 pages know. But frankly I don't understand the problem. It is impossible to over grind the Japanese knife. The thinner - the better. I have three Moritaka knives and they are perfect. It's a strange theme. Through 39 pages there is no real evidence with photo. Only just talk about same intangible issues. This is just my opinion.

It's obvious that you do not understand what an overgrind is, as evidenced by your false assertion that "It is impossible to over grind the Japanese knife", so let me help you to understand the problem. Dave explained it very well in this thread when he said "I'm talking about low spots where a heavy handed knifemaker ground too deep in specific sections on the bevels of the sides of the blades...", but I'll reinforce it with a photo for you.

Not all Moritaka knives have overgrinds nor is the problem specific to Moritaka - it can happen to any knifemaker - but mistakes like this belong on the scrap pile, not in the hands of paying customers. Consider yourself fortunate that you appear to have three that are not overground.

Rick

Latest posts

Back