Moritaka kiritsuke 240mm passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knife arrived today, well packed and in sound condition.

Thanks for the update! Removed Chuckles and Mike9, added vicv.

1. tk59 - San Diego
2. crimedog72 - Washington
3. Vertigo - Montana [Current location of the kiritsuke]
4. Crothcipt - Wyoming
5. physiognomy - Colorado
6. EdipisReks - Ohio
7. rahimlee54 - North Carolina
8. Jmadams13 - Pennsylvania
9. Igasho - Victoria BC
10. Notaskinnychef - Victoria BC
11. vicv - Ontario CA
12. pleue - Oregon
13. ayeung74 - Texas
14. toddnmd - Maryland

don, you should move vicv above me, should shorten shipping times

don, you should move vicv above me, should shorten shipping times

Good call, Igasho. Thanks for helping a fellow Canadian out.

1. tk59 - San Diego
3. Vertigo - Montana [Current location of the kiritsuke]
4. Crothcipt - Wyoming
6. EdipisReks - Ohio
9. vicv - Ontario CA
10. Igasho - Victoria BC
11. Notaskinnychef - Victoria BC
12. pleue - Oregon
13. ayeung74 - Texas
14. toddnmd - Maryland

Thanks for adding me. Much appreciated

I received the knife yesterday. I am loving the lazer aspect.

Already have psy's addy. Will send it out at the end of the week.

Update: Knife was shipped to EdipisReks last week. USPS Label # 9595 5101 7030 3109 6295 98.

Overall, it cut very well & I really liked the knife, but I'm not sure the unique kiritsuke tip suits me very well. I will post some more thoughts on this knife later in the week, but wanted to post a couple of pictures. Thanks to Don for the opportunity to try out this knife!

Moritaka%25201.jpg

Moritaka%25202.jpg

the knife arrived today. it needs substantial amounts of thinning, which i just don't have time to address, due to finals and leaving for vacation on Thursday. would it be possible for me to keep it until after i get back, on May 5th, or does it need to stay moving?

Not for me to say, altho I know that Ig nor myself have the ability to do that, so that won't get done by us. Guess it's up to the owner

the thinning is something i can do easily enough, i just need the time to do it.

@EdipisReks: Hold on to the knife and thin it, and good luck on finals!

1. tk59 - San Diego
3. Vertigo - Montana
4. Crothcipt - Wyoming
6. EdipisReks - Ohio [Current location of the kiritsuke]
9. vicv - Ontario CA
10. Igasho - Victoria BC
12. pleue - Oregon
13. ayeung74 - Texas
14. toddnmd - Maryland

I think that was the right choice, Don. ER does very nice work. That style of grind really ought to be thinned a little with every sharpening of the primary bevels. I really enjoyed the knife! It is probably the nicest kiritsuke-tip gyuto I've ever used. There was a slight hole in the edge when I got it which is common with such flat profiled blades and it didn't really bother me, to be completely honest. I don't use the area near the heal of a gyuto unless I'm starting a slice and so I didn't have any board contact issues. Edge retention was really good. The blade was straight and the grind, although a little rough, did not have the type of grind issues as some of the Moritakas described in other threads. On top of that, it's a great conversation piece. I kid you not: every person that walked past the cutting board that week had to ask me about it.

thanks for the kind words, Tinh. :) i have the knife about half way there, and will finish up this weekend. even the way it is now, it's rather nice.

done with the knife. fixed the hole in the edge towards the heel, which immediately opened up a hole further down the blade. looking at the grind, there are some inconsistencies all the way from the heel to the half way point. i ended up raising the heel slightly, which fixed the issue from a functional standpoint, though it's not resolved completely. i think two or three careful sharpenings would fix the issue, but that is more steel than i'm willing to take off on a knife i don't own (if it were my knife, i would take 1.5mm off the height, and then re-thin the entire knife). i didn't make it as thin at the edge as i would if it were mine, but i figured that making it slightly more robust was smart, given that it's only halfway through the passaround. at this point, it cuts much better than it did when i got it, and it doesn't accordion food at the heel, until you try to make it do so, so i'm satisfied. the main problem is that the knife is just too flat. from pics of other Moritakas i've seen, this seems to be a common thing. if he made the knives have a bit more curve, i think the issue with holes in the edge would be much better, as most Japanese knives have holes in the edge, but to a much lesser degree. otherwise, my impressions are similar to Tinh's. i'll get it off to the next person as soon as i can.

Thanks for the review and detail on sharpening and what needs to be done next. Appreciate the thinner yet robust edge, it'll be best the passaround indeed.

... the main problem is that the knife is just too flat. from pics of other Moritakas i've seen, this seems to be a common thing. if he made the knives have a bit more curve, i think the issue with holes in the edge would be much better, as most Japanese knives have holes in the edge, but to a much lesser degree. otherwise, my impressions are similar to Tinh's...
This is exactly the issue I have w/ my 270 - too flat. I do have a couple of spots that accordion that I've tried to get out but couldn't. That was a while ago, and since I've learned more maybe I could do better now. But even if I got the accordion/over grind issues resolved, I still wouldn't use the knife because it's too flat and not fun to use. I even raised the tip slightly in about the last 1/3 of the blade which made it better, but the heel should really be raised slightly too.

I need to back out of this PA. Sucks, but things happen, ya know...

OK I got this knife by mistake today - I opted out of this passaround back in March. That said I'm not happy about having to ship a knife I didn't want to Canada - just sayin'.

Thanks Don - I'll put it in a newer box this one is getting tired. LYK when it goes out.

That'll be much appreciated. Just PM me!

Here's what I got for the list:
1. tk59 - San Diego
3. Vertigo - Montana
4. Crothcipt - Wyoming
6. EdipisReks - Ohio [Current location of the kiritsuke]
8. Mike9 - NY [layover]
9. vicv - Ontario CA
10. Igasho - Victoria BC
12. pleue - Oregon
13. ayeung74 - Texas
14. toddnmd - Maryland

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

Ok so I've had this knife for a couple days. First thing this thing is sharp. Really humbles me as I thought I could get a knife sharp. Apparently not:). I really like it. It's super light and sharp and thin and the handle feels very nice. I must say I believe it will be my next purchase

Last night I made some seafood pasta and it went through onion and celery without a hitch. See through Garlic slices was no problem either
No pictures but it did reasonably well through raw sausage as well. I'd say the kiritsuki is almost like a vegetable cleaver but with a tip. Pretty flat profile and long. I found it worked well for straight down slicing and the cleaver technique of drawing straight back with just the tip. Thanks for having me as a part of this and I'll pass it along in a couple days

M

if the knife ever comes to france and if us europeans can share the shipping from/to usa (nonsense if the last of us has to pay 6/7 times more shipping cost to send it back)

if we are enough, i'll be glad to try this moritaka (i don't own any, but i like very much flat knives and am curious)

i'll be afraid to use it in my pro kitchen tho, anything can happen and its not mine. i would try it for home prep.

let me know if we become enough people overseas to make this reasonably expensive and to share shipping.

very best regards to OP to have the generosity to do this.

Will be handing this off to Notaskinnychef tonight, I am still beside myself with how light this knife is!

Back