Most used knives - then vs now

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m just curious about how peoples’ tastes have changed. What was your most used knife at the start of the journey and what do you use the most now?

Not as interested in what your favorite knife is, more in what you actually use.

When my collection was small, probably my kobayashi 240mm gyuto, which I (sadly) hardly use now because I discovered my preference for carbon steel.

Today, I mainly use a 180mm W2 ashi ginga gyuto for small tasks and my 240mm kagekiyo black damascus gyuto for larger tasks. Using any other knife feels like a conscious decision, and those two are the default.

used to be a global g2. what can i say.

now, probably a masashi shirogami #2 nakiri + a vic fibrox 21cm, extra height. needless to say this only answers the question: most used?

oversized 210 gyuto. Tried longer and shorter but its the 215-220mm edge length that works for so many applications. Shorter and I feel I can run out of edge real estate, especially for larger produce. 240+ is just unwieldy in my hands at home. A 215-220 with a flat profile just works.

240mm Masamoto Tsukiji VG10 suji for mostly everything

And a 180mm Masahisa Tsukiji stainless petty for smaller stuff

8" Sabatier olive that was heavily thinned was my daily. Now I dont have one, too many knives.

First chef gave me a Whustof when I was like 15 that saw a *lot* of really unskilled use. 😂

Got my first Misono in like '10 and they remain my most used knives to this day. Handled one or two other, nicer knives, but the price to performance to "I'm not gonna care if it's stolen or someone runs it over" ratio is spot on for commercial use.

The Masamoto KS is a close second for time on my board and I'd easily pick one up, but they've apparently gone pants-on-head with their pricing given how inconsistent they are.

I’m just curious about how peoples’ tastes have changed. What was your most used knife at the start of the journey and what do you use the most now?

Not as interested in what your favorite knife is, more in what you actually use.
Started with Henkels and now Tanaka 210 blue and ginsan or Morhei Hisomoto 210 are most used.

Wusthof Gourmet 8".

Then overhauled it and started to see the creep of light.

Then a Tsunehisa 210 ginsan gyuto - Still vehemently anti-carbon.

Now, almost exclusively iron clad/carbon core and heavy on 180's. Currently Homi Kajiya's getting the call.

Also, I never would've dreamed how much I'd end up liking and using a sujihiki and a little 125 funayuki.

The progression:
1) $40-60 knife

2) Wusthof Icon Classic

3) Yoshikane + kurosaki

4)Various Y Tanaka blues (migoto, kyuzo, first gen hado damascus)

5) Hyde, Merion, & a few other westerns

6) Kamon + JB + prior mentioned Westerns, no more Japanese knives

7) Xerxes, Kamon, Milan, Bidinger, and other western makers

I've slowly transitioned to essentially all Western makers

Started with Chicago Cutlery knife block, then got a Zwilling Cronidur set, which I used for a long time. Bought a sharpening stone from JKI to replace the old crappy grey stone that I broke and the research somehow ended with a Yu Kurosaki, followed by a Toyama Naborikoi. Now most used are Denka, Watanabe SS, TnH, Kipp and Shihan.

Last edited:
Started with the normal junk- still have a block filled with cuisinart that sits on the counter to distract from the drawer below it.
My gateway drug was a Kurosaki AS 240. Then several more Jknives until I finally figured out that they are all biased for a righty… so onto westerns, Shihan, spare, paw patrol ect and KIPPINGTON. Pretty much just use a Kipp WP, Tojiro petty, Okahide Sabaki and a Wakui WH suji.

Grew up with Wusthof/Zwillings then went to a Miyabi SG2 then a couple Takefu knives then Toyama/TF/Y. Tanaka for a while. Finally went to mostly Western makers which I'm pretty much settled on for now (Milan/Yanick/Bidinger/Kippington/Kamon/Dalman/Halcyon Forge). Been a fun journey. Too many knives to just have one knife I use the most especially when trying out new knives too.

Grew up with Wusthof/Zwillings then went to a Miyabi SG2 then a couple Takefu knives then Toyama/TF/Y. Tanaka for a while. Finally went to mostly Western makers which I'm pretty much settled on for now (Milan/Yanick/Bidinger/Kippington/Kamon/Dalman/Halcyon Forge). Been a fun journey. Too many knives to just have one knife I use the most especially when trying out new knives too.
Started with Henckels. First J-knife was a Masahiro santoku.

After buying handmade woodworking tools, I got the itch to try harder blades. Got me a Yauji yanagiba in white 2 that was my start in learning about waterstones. It still does most sashimi duty.

While I have some knives that are essentially used for only one thing and always that knife, my current varsity players are a Shibata Kashima 240 and a Kuwabara small petty.

My Hencks still get the hard-duty jobs like boning mammal or cutting pizza.

Back