MSC, or how I once dreamed up a Nakiri...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModRQC

Just shutup n' grabbit!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
010_M_Ol_Hammer.jpg

“My first hammer. The one I started with. A 4lb. The one that did all the cold forging.”

First Contact

I went to Matt Sicard about the unlikeliest knife I’d ever set purchasing sights upon: a 215mm Nakiri that he WTS. I had never used one nearly that long, nor so much of them anyhow. It was a very laser grind where I had mosty prefered the Sanjo take for Nakiris, the neck was a bit on the short side, and the blade was rather narrow for that length, if exactly on par with the range I liked in 180mm ones.
SOLD - 215mm 52100 Nakiri

011_HForge Press Motivation.jpg

“This knife motivated me to get a press. It was a 1"x1.5"x6" billet. It's now a feather pattern paring knife. It was forged entirely by hand....it took about 14 hours just for the forging. And I lost 11/12ths of my starting material. Never finished it though...”

There was some give and take about it, but it had that... Gyuto-something I thought I could appreciate, and as a Nakiri still, the widest 215mm blade I’d have tried so far, even at heel and obviously more so moving forward. The pull was very strong, but I didn’t feel so confident about why exactly when something about it felt out of character where I stood to appreciate it. Yet the more off it seemed, the more I wanted to follow up with it.

012_1st Dammy.jpg

“My first damascus knife. This carving knife was 27 layers of twist. All forged by hand. No press at the time. This thing must have taken at least 30 hours to make... Nickel and brass spacers. All hand cut fit. No power graver at the time.”

That’s about as far as it went: I asked Matt a couple things about it, we started talking a bit, and Matt soon enough was proposing that he could make a custom Nakiri to my satisfaction instead. I took a few days to think about it, and when I came back to greenlight the project, he suggested that I should fill the Form (the capitalization is from me).

013_Matt's Setup.jpg

“My forge, press, and anvil.”

Matt/MSC

Matt really is outstanding to deal with. He’s welcoming, genuinely interested, swift to provide the right insights into his workflow and getting the basics down so that the details can be fine tuned as he’s setting some things in motion already. There’s a truly warm and tranquille vibe to him, yet what I captured the most is his enthousiasm and dedication to the work. It was positively flowing in his words.

014_first Gyuto+Stone Spacer.jpg

“My first gyuto and first knife with a stone spacer.”

We have the opportunity to see his work more closely here on KKF and he’ll share openly about his experience and experimentations regardless of the level of success he achieved, often putting out incredible stuff from that kind of work on top of his usual array of “regular” knives – all solid and interesting options like that Nakiri he talked me out of – or the one he made custom instead.

The Form

Custom Knife Order Form | MSicard Cutlery

It’s downright simple but quite extensive, fielding anything you’d want a custom maker to make special for you, and very possibly a few more things you didn’t even think about. It also paints a good picture of how Matt looks at making custom knives. It’s really satisfying to fill and Matt is at ease working with it.

015_Elbow Killers.jpg

“MagnaCut.... and a 1200 grit hand finish..... I only charged $30 for the upgrade from 320-1200 at the time..... it took about 6 hours.”

Specific Requests

Mostly a mild deviation to his regular production – offhand, my custom just seems like a regular MSC there and is perfect that way. I was personally very partial to three things: custom choil shape that’s nothing so special... over 3mm stock into corresponding thickness at heel... perhaps what would really raise eyebrows was that I specifically asked for a rather fine vertical belt grind - even against Matt’s best advice. Note that I’m still not introducing pictures of it, because there’s a stark difference between dreaming up a blade, and what a guy like Matt needs to do to have an orderly, appealing final product.

Of course you can’t care less about the useless stuff I asked for. However, I must provide insight into it enough as to illustrate Matt’s response to them, and the reason I need to do that is they are the things precisely that he would probably never advocate for of his own mind. It’s the “Custom Bind” of any reviewing of such a knife.

016_Real Nice Stuff.jpg
017_Real Cool Stuff.jpg

“...either a well executed first, or an interesting variation within its class...” (about a much larger grouping I elected those two from...)

In clear, the vertical finish was against Matt’s best not because he found it problematic of itself but because he felt he generally had greater control towards the thinnest edges if left to his own devices. Advice taken, still wanted the belt finish. In my experience a most effective one overall, especially for laser-like blades. And I can make edges thinner, but in fact with MSC I wasn’t worried at all, whatever the outcome, that I’d need to do any major work for at least a year onward.

Matt also didn’t think that the thicker 52100 stock he could order would significantly impact the final stance, while it would certainly impact lead time towards completion. A fair POV, but I still wanted the thicker stock. In fact it was probably the most crucial request, since I basically sent to BST every serious knife that was below 3mm, and once I knew what I wanted, stopped buying any. Statistically, it’s a 100% positive that it just won’t work for me. Matt was also essentially right, although he was again looking at it more from the cutting feel and performance . My beef was only with grip, and he got that.

018_Different Stuff.jpg

“I can do other kinds of knives, but seldom do. Different markets are hard to break into. Here's an 8.5" harpoon point chopper.”

As for the special choil shape, Matt was willing to accomodate. His first thought when I explained it was “like a TF notch?”. I told him that while that would also work for me, what I essentially envisionned was based rather on his usual choil shape, except letting the heel go rather aggressively backwards, and amplifying just a tiny bit the finger rest curve inwards. He asked if I could send a schematic to make sure, and I basically sent what would mostly look like a “ 2 ” in italics – with the “neckline” straight obviously. In fact, rather than a TF notch, it is closer to many a higher-end Sakai, a bit more pronounced perhaps

The Form was more than apt enough to let me add some ballpark specs indeed , handle pref, and vibe. Bizarelly, specs were what took the longest to determine. I had the flash and the shape and I knew what I liked for Nakiris in general, but since the original one from Matt was so much longer, I was still toying with the idea of a 200mm+ edge and possibly 60mm width. But in the end I settled for just a modest bit of extra length compared with my favorite Nakiris so far, mostly to level off the backwards heel some.

019_SpeudoSfront.jpg

“This is my dining room. On the table you see completed knives, a regulator for the furnace I'll be using for wootz, premade handles, a multimeter, unground blanks, and some gloves. In the corner you see the battery charger I use for electro etching, as well as reclaimed packing material and the boxes I use for shipping. By that same corner of the table you see the top of the pressure gauge for my vacuum chamber which is sitting near that corner. In the window you see a clayed honyaki drying for heat treat, my dwindling supply of boiled linseed oil, and my drying skewers for handles.”

This is basically Matt’s front store. I don’t know... I started to wonder what it would take to be invited for dinner at Matt’s place. And obiously the best grit I should sharpen my teeth at for the meal. But whatever the deal would be, I mean, Matt's stuff is just about ripe for publication into a roman where I'd be the hero... aaaah uh...

*All Matt’s comments as gathered back in April and unmodified except for slightly editing some out of their full context*

Last edited:
My Nakiri

020.jpg

MAKER
MSC
TYPE & LENGTH
Nakiri 190mm
STEEL & BLADE
52100 Monosteel
FINISH
Hairline
WEIGHT / BALANCE
174g / +40
HANDLE MATERIAL
American Cherry Monopiece
TOTAL LENGTH​
345​
BLADE LENGTH​
210​
EDGE LENGTH
HEIGHT AT HEEL​
HEIGHT AT MID BLADE​
53​
HEIGHT 35mm TO TIP​
45​
SPINE
THICKNESS
HEEL​
MID BLADE​
2.5​
UPSWEEP​
EDGE THICKNESS
@ 10 / 5 / 1mm over
HEEL + 10mm​
0.9 / 0.5 / 0.2​
MID BLADE​
0.7 / 0.4 / 0.2​
UPSWEEP​
0.6 / 0.3 / 0.2​

I’m sorry to say there are about no pictures of it as it was “OOTB”. Preps and dirty patina is what you’ll get mostly. Long story short, the thing that happened is the 1kA challenge. The MSC got here mid-April indeed, and there was no way I wasn’t going to try it, so I did. But I was commited to the 1kA challenge by then and any review of the Komorebi seemed to depend on its completion – or it was gonna go BST, and really it derseved better consideration than that.

021.jpg
022.jpg
023.jpg

I decided the best I could do was to lend the MSC to some enthusiastic colleagues and family while I was not to use it – sample some opinions there, and get it the “fook” away from me. I only got it back late in May, but I was getting fully into the Kikuchiyo Ren testing and “upcoming” review by then.

“Upcoming” nowadays means anywhere 1-3 months. So once that was done we were closing on July and a full fledge summer, and I had better things to do than sit to a computer. I laid grounds to this review here early September. Those two first grey and cold weeks of it. Then we got a spectacular Indian Summer, and I pushed back until October basically. It’s been a month since I was really into this.

Ok... for the timeline of the knife:

• PM’d Matt about the original Nakiri on February 27th.
  • It’s not like we were talking every day, so we agreed on the final project on March 9th. Thicker steel was on order and Matt thought he’d only get around to start on it a couple weeks later.
  • Matt gave some news end of March that it was in the works.
  • 024.jpg
  • The final handle was chosen on April 11th. It was one of the five Matt had just posted for sale back then. I had specifically asked for a lighter shade handle into plain looks for the knife, and the array lended itself very well to that. This picture is the truest, most essential, and most exciting one that will ever be taken of that knife - yet the handle was not even fixed there and the picture had only but a pragmatic end. By THEN I was craving for that knife. I answered directly with my full shipping address – that’s all there was to say about it.
  • The knife got to me April 17th. Matt lives in Ontario, Canada. In fact, roughly a 2.5 hours drive from my home in Québec, Canada, as it stands. He wrapped up the knife within 24 hours from the handle fit. He sent it my way Wednesday, April 12th. It landed the next Monday.

In sharpening the steel is responsive, crisp and clean. I knew first time it was up close with Matt’s target HT of 65RC: the feedback was quite alike sharpening a Denka or Sukenari AS, both being fairly recent, almost crossing experiences. Matt’s HT showcases 52100 as the steel that again can sharpen to exacting levels with little efforts, and endure superbly both in time and abuse, topping my chart of beloved simpler steels now that I’ve finally tried a different iteration for a righteous lenght of time. The first iteration was a Shi.Han’s 52100 and my favorite knife throughout most of the shitstorm that went with falling down the rabbit hole back in the days. Another frame of mind of a knife, and very apt at it, there putting most A#2 to shame. A tank into a ballet dancer... I’ve said something like so a few times about it.

025_A2S.jpg

Yet I would argue now that 52100 is also best represented with a harder HT, especially to a thinner grind/edge. It remains tough enough, but its mileage seems to get roughly 20% better in this combination, with the edge keeping that fresh out of stones spark about half as much longer. The range of excellence with 52100, from Shi.Han’s perspective to Matt’s one, is surely as strong a reason why I’m thrilled with this knife as the specifics I requested for. Matt’s HT does put Aogami Super of the best sources to the test, but whatever the results I much prefer 52100’s behavior as well as its tendency to come mono, and often less expensive than emblematic J-knives in AS, from many great western makers.There’s more to preferences for a knife than qualities of (core) steel, but when the latter hits dead center of opposite aims to overall greatness, it’s something to behold. In such terms, if only that, Shi.Han and Matt defined my very best expectations and packed the best of punches with it.

026_A2S.jpg

Matt’s was mostly the only knife I used throughout the peak of summer. Also when most of the pictures here and after were taken. Now that I’ve gone back to using the whole rotation as I please I didn’t even have to guilt myself into “squeezing the investment” our of it. In fact, I now sometimes have to guilt myself into using my Gyutos over it – often because I cannot clearly remember the last time I did. But soon enough and inevitably, I turn back to Matt’s Nakiri for another while.

027_A2S.jpg

028_A2S.jpg

But it’s not like I’m starting to have a preference with the rectangles. I’m guessing it will level off at some point into a more representative ratio of use. I only have a preference with this rectangle. Any other Nakiri I ever owned would basically be BST stuff six months later, but I’m still in the honeymoon phase with this one.

029.jpg

BTW the reuniting theme of all preps pictures proposed here will be sauces for pastas. Either a basic tomato “jardinière”, or mushrooms for a white sauce, or veggies to be sautéed with pastas, and obviously some garlic, but also a bout of pancetta, etc. There’s usually more detailed preps of similar ingredients involved there so I thought it would fit nicely with some focused use happening over time and what I needed to say about it.

The Performance

Would you be so suprised to learn by now that even the basic choil shot or any of my regular likewise pictures NEVER happened OOTB with the MSC? The ones I’ll introduce were taken two days ago... first chance of free time and the sun popping out for a while.

I’m thus happy that Matt also sent me a choil shot of the knife in its final grind, but not sharpened yet, back in April:

030_MChoil.jpg

That’s because three sharpenings since then, my choil shots aren’t so truthful about it. I don’ t care SO much about that anyway, since I don’t think I need to make the case to how thin Matt can readily go BTE on KKF. The first sharpening mostly a deep touch up before sending it out to pears back in April + an actual touch up after the first of them. The second somewhere late June or early July when I was almost clear on the Kikuchiyo and finally starting to use the Nakiri for good. The third was early September after about two months almost solely using it. It’s been two months now since then and I think Matt’s 52100 is good for half of a homecook’s regular preps for about three months if used 2-3 times a week. That figures to be about equivalent to a full shift into Pro environment using solely it or so, I guess.

031_Choil.jpg

Choil nowadays...

Which brings us to my faithful lab rats indeed. First person it went to is my lady colleague and most frequent sharpening customer that also happens to own nice J-knives. Much more importantly, she bought a Wakui Nakiri from me, still uses it, and is thus the sole person of my entourage that has experience and a liking of a Nakiri.

The second also a (newer) colleague of mine, and we share common grounds. Much more of a cook than I’ll ever be, but was never really presented with an opportunity to try better knives. So I lent him all of mines in succession, Matt’s getting here about midway. My colleague didn’t take much to the form, as expected since using German-kind stuff all of his life. He couldn’t shut up about the ease and accumen he experienced with fresh herbs and lettuce and carrots and stuff though. A question of a couple more weeks to have him into it, but he brought it back within one. From experience I take it as a sign it’s no fit at all *right now* and shall not be pursued. Would you care to guess which knife he liked best and kept for 3 weeks and only brought back out of some form of guilt I think? The Komorebi, indeed...

032_Nose.jpg

Nose...

Then my ex and my daugthers. My ex is a good home cook that worked a couple years as the cook’s assistant in a small school kitchen. It made her exceedingly efficient with lesser tools. She didn’t take to the form much neither, for the same reasons than my colleague. But I was there the first time she used it and she had quite a visible double-take at the first cut. After some corrections of methodology she used it for half a pouch of onions in very clean cuts. I could see she was relieved to get back to the Victo I gave her though, and rougher techniques. My youngest daughter, and the more kitchen oriented of the two, enjoyed it particularly more than I expected her to. Made me cringe to watch her with it in her small, still baby-fat but steady 10 years-old hand, yet she did quite fine and easy. I taught her, but I still hate to see it happening. The older one basically fears knives and can’t stomach much over a petty. Still unexplainable to me and my ex, since we’ve always been using them knives rather fearlessly.

Bringing us to Performance indeed – as observed by this reviewer. I cannot bring much more to the joy of cutting as expressed through the eyes and vibes of others. Best word for the performance is “pneumatic”. This is very much brought forward as well by the very flat edge – but not deadly flat. Matt managed quite well of introducing the slightest recurve right where it was needed – all by himself.

033_Profile.jpg

Bringing us to the special choil shape, which essentially prolongs the flat spot backwards of the intended pinch spot. It might seem counterintuitive. I think that my idea from the start with the flash was that I had always considered Nakiris to be shortcoming when trying to slice some meat, even when easily sized in proportions to the blade for the work. But I never felt much need of a longer forward section of them in 180-185mm format, and had even made do very well of a couple 160-170mm edge Nakiris.

034_A3S.jpg

Yet, if you ask me how I “calculated” my chances into it, it was all a matter of grip, forwardness and overall balance. And it landed at the lowest expected threshold of weight, but into the most delightful stance and balance I could hope for... and that proved more crucial.

035_A3S.jpg

Of course, that goes in hand with the fact that I tend to use one knife to do it all in a prep. That’s why I think I wanted to buy the original Nakiri with that bit of a tall Gyuto vibe going on. I’ve found the Custom one close to perfect in cutting the apple in half and nesting itself comfortably into my own sweet spot of anything rectangle.

036_A3S.jpg

Now, I know that “pneumatic” can often describe what lasers tend to do best, hence why I’ve been underlining the flattish edge into a backwards heel. It doesn’t only correlate with better slicing abilities, and a more natural scope when chopping big stuff, but it also tends to smooth out the landing in regular push cutting somehow. Now throw all of that onto a Larchwood board, and you really get “pneumatic”.

037_A3S.jpg

Food release is fair for a laser grind, and there’s more than enough space to accumulate and let fall quite a few cuts along the way, enhanced by the hairline finish that’s also straightforward to wipe down, so all in all it is the best laser I ever tried to date since the Konosuke HD2 for release, but Matt’s much more laser than it... and also more fun to use!

038_A3S.jpg

I know you may feel like I did not give much attention to fit. That’s because I don’t feel like I need to say Matt does a clean fit and a smooth spine and choil. Nor much attention to the handle – but as I said the best pic for that was Matt’s. Nor much attention to the finish... obviously not. I must say though that I love the heat discoloration from the handle fit at the neck. It’s a touch of character that I had “omitted” in the flash, even where I knew Matt regularly worked like that, and it’s a welcome one.

039_C&S.jpg

Last edited:
Afterword:

040_A3S_wordC.jpg

Here is a list of things I need to thank Matt for, pragmatically speaking:

• The flash-inducing original Nakiri and custom proposition;
  • The enthusiasm and advice into my plain, boring project;
  • That Form... with the capital F;
  • The work and getting it “there”;
  • Taking critical pictures where I failed to;
  • Answering a few questions and providing a few extra pics of his shop/settings.
But mostly I need to thank him for making me a Nakiri that is a keeper, and for that Nakiri to have been the very significant event that allowed me to complete the transition I’ve been making from knives buying craze to detachement.

Also, for almost completely breaking the mold regarding new knives. I did take the measurements of Matt’s on the first day, but then... lending a new knife around is breaking the mold, and doing that without taking even “precautionary” pictures is completely shattering it. Having enough patience to finish the 1kA challenge, and then some more into deepening my experience of the next almost new Kikuchiyo (received it around mid-March), and then writing its review just as Matt’s knife was finally back by my side... It was another feat of patience in fact that I did not use the Kikuchiyo for the 1kA challenge because I needed to take more time with the Komorebi, which had suffered from my almost complete indifference since late November 2022... I hope anyone can really grasp how intense it has become to just post these things.

I’ll apologize to Matt for taking so much time, and seemingly not being bothered with rendering the full glory of his knife. But in fact, I think it shows something much truer than when I am bothered with getting everything right for a review: Matt’s Nakiri already has a story of humane connexions, a patina from a lot of use by different hands in circumstances highlighting how I’m now fully focused on the tool, and how each review since a while took a toll on my ability to just enjoy them knives that way. Indeed the Komorebi took nearly six months also – but I did take religiously clean pics OOTB, but we were getting there still, weren’t we?

Matt’s knife was when I broke down and finally gave in to the tool. And it is liberating. I suppose the slight feeling of guilt towards Matt will eventually be forgotten with finally publishing this.

Last edited:
Damn, It was really a really nice post! Thank you for taking the time to document everything and share your experience, it was interesting to read and very well put together 👌

Great write-up buddy! That knife just looks fast. Like a speed skate or something. 👍

And I couldn't agree more about Matt. His work is excellent and he's great to interact with. When I start getting a custom knife itch, Matt is who gets the first message.

Back