Mugen knife query

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colsul

Reaction score
Hello all =)
I have a whole collection of Zwilling JA Henckel knives that I have been using but am tired of having to constantly sharpen the Stainless Steel, so I decided I wanted to purchase a couple of awesome hard steel knives. I went out and bought 2 Mugen knives. They are a Mugen HAP40 Gyuto knife (240mm -- approx 9.5") for $700 Cdn and a Mugen HAP40 Nakiri knife (165mm -- approx 6.5") for $630 Cdn. I have since been trying to find information on these and have had no luck. Can anyone tell me if these were a good buy? Did I get ripped off or find a super deal? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you all.

Next time your wallet is feeling frisky you might ask questions first then buy knife.

If you intend to actually use them, like to cut stuff with, - well, I hope you got kissed.

You spent 1330 Ca$ on knives you knew absolutely nothing about?

You could most definitely could have gotten more for that kind of cash.

Next time your wallet is feeling frisky you might ask questions first then buy knife.

If you intend to actually use them, like to cut stuff with, - well, I hope you got kissed.

Alas...no kiss :(
I understand that HAP40 is a pretty impressive steel for kitchen knives. Doesn't seem like anyone has heard of Mugen knives though. Thanks for the feedback.

Send them back before you use them and get your money back. Fill out the which knife should I but questionnaire and start fresh. Don't stress the type of steel, usually just hype.

And Welcome!

$630 for a nakiri, ouch. Carter doesn't even charge that and I've never even heard of mugen.

Thank you all for the replies. I have decided to return the knives. Better not do an impulse buy again :O

I hate to say this about a Canadian company but knifewear on the whole is quite expensive... I have not been inside one of their shops but I doubt they're going to offer better prices at their brick and mortar locations than online... :( Their markup on many knives seems astronomical considering the price of the same knife (afaik no modifications) at any other online vendor-- pick any knife in their selection, you'll be able to beat the price without much effort. It's a shame.

I think the yoshikanes are pretty dang reasonable. On rakuten the hammered finished ened up being about 230 shipped to Canada at least. While its around 240 minus shipping.

I hate to say this about a Canadian company but knifewear on the whole is quite expensive... I have not been inside one of their shops but I doubt they're going to offer better prices at their brick and mortar locations than online... :( Their markup on many knives seems astronomical considering the price of the same knife (afaik no modifications) at any other online vendor-- pick any knife in their selection, you'll be able to beat the price without much effort. It's a shame.

+1.
Also, the prices went significantly up in last year or so. Basically, when they added much more brands to the line-up and opened more stores.
I bought two knives from them. One before the price hike and another one because getting it from US+Shipping+Border taxes+Currency exchange would be roughly the same as Knifewear+FreeShipping+HST. And as every Canadian does, support local business first.

Back