Munitoshi introduction?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
doh, chip proneness would be a deal breaker for me. please report back on the matter once youve thickened up the blade behind the edge. hint hint, sharpen it a buncha times.

Might have chipped bcuz you didnt do an initial sharpening to open the edge and stabilize it with microbevel, right? Almost like why shigs can be chippy if you dont stabilize the edge. Im sure other people can chime in from experience

i need to address that chipping things on all of my knives and my description if them :)
First my description of my knives is relative to other knives that i carry. So when i say they can handle the beating then i refer to my other knives and steels.
I do not have any knives on my website that is similar to SS german knives or globals etc etc
Right now i am leaning to carry only super hard knives and let the smith choose the best heat-treatment for the steel like they will do for Japanese marked.
To many smiths in Japan got to westernised and begin to make extra thin knives and softer as people from West tend to ask more for those. With all that custom orders from Japan many of th makers have changed they heat-treatment and grinds unfortunately ;( you can see that with shigefusa old stock knives they was harder and bit less fit and finish

I am trying now to revert that and let them make knives for me as they made them before they got to west :p

On the chipping as i said it before, it is sooo much easier to thicken up your knife then start to thin it. So thats why all my knives come with extra thin grind, except butcher :p

Murray Carter actually made very good video about it some time ago i link it here

[video=youtube;dU3ALY8OmZk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU3ALY8OmZk[/video]

To many smiths in Japan got to westernised and begin to make extra thin knives and softer as people from West tend to ask more for those. With all that custom orders from Japan many of th makers have changed they heat-treatment and grinds unfortunately ;( you can see that with shigefusa old stock knives they was harder and bit less fit and finish

Glad you said this, as it's been my impression too. Do you have an idea of when Shigefusa began to change their style to suit foreign buyers? Must be several years ago by now. I imagine the time to buy Shigefusa was 10 years ago, not now. (Although loads of people seem to like the current Shigefusa versions. Even if I bad-mouth them, I'm sure you'll quickly sell any Shigs you'll get.) Single-bevel Shigs are a different thing, of course

Me, I'd always go for performance first. I like your Toyama a lot, and would rather have a T gyuto than a Shig. Kato is similar, as normal Workhorse or other Kato are not about looks and finish. Both great choices

I have no valuable opinion to share about "westernizing" pros and cons, but I will say the chippiness thing makes sense when you approach the knife finishing the way some craftsmen do.

There are more questionable processes that lead to weak edges (e.g. med-high pressure on 6k wet wheel), but if you've got a crazy thin edge bevel and it starts to show minor chipping, it's sometimes because the maker did what they could to get the main geometry as thin as possible at the edge before putting on a final bevel (I do it with a mid-high grit stone, 4k or higher). This minimal edge passes cutting tests like paper and shaving and such, but will be a little too thin and unstable unless you're super delicate with it. You'll probably want to open it up just a little more. When I thin and adjust knives, I encounter this issue occasionally.

made my own video with bit extreme chipping :p and how long it will take to take them out with 1k stone. with coarser it will take much much less time
it is unedited video to see how much time it takes

i did it with normal angle as i sharpen all my knives.

[video=youtube;_lWZV49HWNY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lWZV49HWNY[/video]

made my own video with bit extreme chipping :p and how long it will take to take them out with 1k stone. with coarser it will take much much less time
it is unedited video to see how much time it takes

i did it with normal angle as i sharpen all my knives.

[video=youtube;_lWZV49HWNY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lWZV49HWNY[/video]

With your home-knife standards that knife is in amazing condition. :p

[emoji2] Dan, i dont remember what I was referring to about stainless clad???
And I also dont remember the stainless
knife from 'the F bucket' [emoji2]
But I do remember we had a good time and I look forward to August [emoji106][emoji2][emoji322][emoji380][emoji173]️

Okay guys...these knives have been out of stock for a couple weeks now at least. Surely someone here has some feedback to offer. I would really like to hear how they perform.

Okay guys...these knives have been out of stock for a couple weeks now at least. Surely someone here has some feedback to offer. I would really like to hear how they perform.

Ok
So: i have& use 3 of four existing on his page- a Butcher, a small Kuro, a big Gyuto Kuro
You saw many extremely positive opinions reg this Butcher- it's extremely reliable and mighty knife.
Useless for thin cutting, but damn good as a meat/ bones destroyer.
A smaller Kuroushi knife is one of my favorites. Just to have. Don't use it really much, but have 2 or 3 everywhere ( car, utility box etc). A " try to destroy me- he he he" knife. ;)
I recently got a Kuro Gyuto- but this knife hasn't inspired me that much. It wasn't good out of the box, needs proper sharpening. I will give " him" some love and let's see. As for the feeling it gives- well, it isn't the feeling of Kato [emoji41]. But could be good for the price. Btw- is quite reactive though Kurouchi..
Doesn't give the sence of the rock like his thicker brother Butch, is more in Itinomonn league where it comes from.
But again- can be s good helper , but not WOW

Have sharpened it properly- it cuts well, the retention is better then Shigefusa ( which is the pure beauty, but[emoji23][emoji23])- so for the price it's a very reasonable investment- though i still hope that the extra patina will help to be less reactive.. Even through Kuroushi finish[emoji6]. Shirogami...
I would love it in smaller or Santoku version- somehow my most often taken knife is a Kato Kuro Santoku. ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1460579892.057971.jpg
Though as i told before- his small Kuroushi utility knife is a small cool toy, a Butcher is a god, and i love his Ajikiri- a very cool small knife!!!! Damn handy!!
These are my most used knives- a small part of my shy collection [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

how about some pics of the reactivity?
how does the steel feel on stones?

Wanna see some rusty horror?[emoji12][emoji12].
Just as on any white steel- not more/ not less. It's ok for a " normal carbon freak " which we all definitely are[emoji41][emoji41][emoji106]🏻.
It feels ok on stones- very good response- the heat treatment is not bad at all.
You don't waste a day to sharpen it.
Easy style. Have you used Toyama knives? That's damn reactive!!! Or a Kato. So it's quite normal.
What I really like is the low reactivity on Kato Kuroushi, Shigefusa Kuroushi is very good protected on blackish finish, but reactive on the naked steel.
I just hoped Mune would be more rust- resistible.
Ok- time to adjust myself.
But considering it's price.. Hm.. It's definitely a good knife. I wouldn't take it in Kasumi though.
Mune isn't a God in terms of beauty when talking about finish. But.. It's a kinda workhorse, daily use, not a showstopper

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1460632880.846146.jpgImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1460632892.100483.jpgImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1460632900.956196.jpg
Voilà
2 min fingerstones- it's ok again. I will invest some more time and it gets very cool finish then
You just have to do it once( as i told- Mune isn't a God of finish) but it's a great stuff for this money: I.P. Vasilyuk Andrey

i thought these were supposed to be back in stock first week of the month!?? been waiting on a 210 KU...

Maksim told me they are coming [emoji317][emoji317][emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji41].
210 is a very useful size. It will be heftier/ sturdier IMHO. If it would be there I would take a 210-er.
Definitely
240 is a bit too long for a quick cut, as to me- i have many 240-er, but the smaller size is a finer tool to me. Still long enough to cut well, but more precise
Have really no space to put it on[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. .... Otherwise should put some on a shelf where all the others rest[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Kasumi ones was just for test and i think only 2 left :) I will carry only his KU

From website :

Another Great Blacksmith from Sanjo, Niigata

Third Generation Munetoshi is all made by 67 years old Kouiti Turumaki.

He have learned everything from his father and have been blacksmith for 52 years

He is specialized in white steel and making primarily Axes, Nata and heavy duty blades

Thats why i have approached him for my Butcher knife :) That was my house brand itinomonn

They turned out outstandingly strong and very robust knives.

Fit and finish is not his thing so you can not expect any on Munitoshi knives. But in my opinion it is not bad thing as his knives is is made for abuse and to be strong !

He water quench all his knives and finish is rough and rustic. In my opinion they are amazing cutters on pair with Shigefusa and Kato !

Super easy to sharpen and get amazing edge with White steel. But much together then other white steel knives that i have tried.

At this price point he is very very hard to beat. As always fully handmade hand-laminated blades, VERY rare to see in this price point, so they are Amazing value !

I decided to Keep ONLY Kurouchi knives from him , so he will concentrate more on heat-treatment and grind instead of FF, plus i think the look of his KU knives is the best and super unique !

It's a shame you don't intend on carrying the Kasumi versions in the future. I'm real happy with mine. I look forward to the sujis!

Back