My 5 year stable. Is the set ever complete?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboylim

Reaction score
So it's been a stable kitchen set for a while. But new cheap cleavers incoming!

1. Gesshin Ittetsu 240mm White #2 Honyaki Yo Gyuto with Desert Ironwood. Ikeda-san and sharpened by Ino-san JKI
2. Singatirin honyaki Wa Gyuto 240mm burnt ebony (JNS Yoshikane) KKF Review
3. Hiromoto Yo honyaki 240mm White #2 KKF profile comparison
4. Hiromoto Yo Gyuto 240mm AS Spa treated KKF review
5. TF Denka 210mm Yo Gyuto 210mm TF website
6. Kiyoshi Kato Nakiri 180mm blue 2 JNS
7. Kiyoshi Kato Gyuto 180mm blue 2 JNS
8. Mazaki Honesuki 170mm White #2 JNS
9. Early Shigeki Tanaka 150mm Petty Blue 2 (metal-master cheapy)
10. Takeda AS petty 90mm Chubo
11. Cheap £7 vintage cleaver

Attachments

• 20230830_121023.jpg
    20230830_121023.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Those are some pretty cool gyuto's. What do you think of the Gesshin Ittetsu and the Hiromoto honyaki in use?

Those are some pretty cool gyuto's. What do you think of the Gesshin Ittetsu and the Hiromoto honyaki in use?
2 very different and cool knives.
Hiromoto has a very soft feel when rock chopping. It's amazing feeling for this. Almost like the differential mizu honyaki is allowing flex vertically!
The Ikeda-san / Ona Ittetsu is a heavy but nimble carver with very hard steel.

Very different uses and extremely satisfying.

LOVE the Singatirin.

Hesitated on a BST a few years back and missed out on one.

If you’re ever trying to thin the heard 😉

LOVE the Singatirin.

Glad to see some of the forum oldies @MowgFace ! And I'll keep you in mind.

That said, it's such a great lazer I've never needed a sujihiki!

Possibly:
1. Honesuki for breaking down chicken, but the mini yanagiba is versatile enough!
2. Longer Yanagiba or takobiki but slicing is currently covered by the Singatirin!
3. A high end slicing cleaver e.g. Denka

But I would have to sell first or trade to keep the herd of knives in rotation!

Last edited:
Damn that Singatirin is nice... love the profile.

Also, miss my 180 Kato gyuto. Such a great little knife.
That Kato 180mm Gyuto is my: "if I only could have one" knife!

The distal taper is the most dramatic and useful of any knife I have owned!

Nimble Lazer tip to convex heel for food release, with my favourite burnt chestnut handle from JNS.

Thank you @Choppin, I use it daily!

What a perfect gyuto rotation! Ittetsu wa gyuto Honyaki is easily my fave Honyaki I’ve used. I’m very curious how the ironwood western handle performs

What a perfect gyuto rotation! Ittetsu wa gyuto Honyaki is easily my fave Honyaki I’ve used. I’m very curious how the ironwood western handle performs
It's such a good knife.

The western handle does make it heel heavier which makes it nimble at the tip, good for slicing and push chopping. Rock chopping is very close to the heel. It's almost the opposite of the Hiromoto honyaki which is more workhorse oriented!

That Kato 180mm Gyuto is my: "if I only could have one" knife!

The distal taper is the most dramatic and useful of any knife I have owned!

Nimble Lazer tip to convex heel for food release, with my favourite burnt chestnut handle from JNS.

Thank you @Choppin, I use it daily!
ah, now I noticed you have the WH version... I had a standard. I looked everywhere for the WH, super super hard to find. A keeper for sure. Enjoy!

ah, now I noticed you have the WH version... I had a standard. I looked everywhere for the WH, super super hard to find. A keeper for sure. Enjoy!
The workhorse is quite extraordinary. The shear weight and density of the Heat treatment is something else. Hefty yet purposeful. I only sold my Toyama 210 Nakiri after geting the Kiyoshi Kato Workhorse Nakiri. Both great knives but the Kato won.

How do you like the 210 Denka? Where does it fit in the use mix?
The Denka is a stiff lazer ideal for winter squash and very tough produce! It gets rediculoisly sharp and if not for the Kato 180mm Gyuto, it would be the single all purpose knife for me!

The Denka is as good as a thin slicing cleaver on hard vegetables, but much more versitile Gyuto shape. It's only weakness is it cannot rock chop given its low tip. The Kato 180mm can rock chop!

The Denka is a stiff lazer ideal for winter squash and very tough produce! It gets rediculoisly sharp and if not for the Kato 180mm Gyuto, it would be the single all purpose knife for me!

The Denka is as good as a thin slicing cleaver on hard vegetables, but much more versitile Gyuto shape. It's only weakness is it cannot rock chop given its low tip. The Kato 180mm can rock chop!

I have a 210 Denka with a WA handle on the way. Good to hear.

I have a 210 Denka with a WA handle on the way. Good to hear.
They are really awesome knives performance wise. Particularly push cutting!

I would love a Denka mini cleaver like @inzite has from years back! But the prices are just too high now. Back then they were premium priced bit not luxury priced. I may have to trade for one if they ever come up!

Last edited:
Shibata tinker tank and matsubara kiri cleaver arrived today! My poor masahiro cleaver is going to be lonely.

What a compliment to the Denka 210 Gyuto.

Early thoughts one "drops" through food the other "glides" through food. Both are great!

The Tinker tank is nicely heavier and suited to cleaver users. It drops through food and weighted heavily towards the tip.

The Matsubara glides through food and is suited to Gyuto users wanting to benefits from a cleaver but with more versitiliy of a more balanced weight but still tip weighted.

More reviews to follow once I've had a better run at them.

Attachments

• 20230921_154233.jpg
    20230921_154233.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
LOVE the Singatirin.

Just thinking @MowgFace , do you have any stiff lazer sujihikis like a TF denka or a Tanaka Ironwood sujihiki? Really considering reducing my Gyuto 240mm collection and trying out 270mm sujihikis!

Back