My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first got into carbon knives, I wasted *countless* company hours playing with forced patinas. Like I was running the dang restaurant, and still finding time to be like "ooooooh okay, let's dab limes on it, leave it for a few hours, then paint tiger stripes with brown mustard, then polish cross stripes with bkf on a cork and thin slice medium rare ribeye and let it sit....."

I've long since given up on forcing patinas, but I assure you professional chefs do in fact do it. As long as you're flexible with how professional the professional is. 😉

I once put a giant stain on the middle of a stainless steel table because the boiling hot delimer I was using to force a patina sloshed out. The aluminum pot that held the delimer did not fare too well either.

I once put a giant stain on the middle of a stainless steel table because the boiling hot delimer I was using to force a patina sloshed out. The aluminum pot that held the delimer did not fare too well either.
Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that's why I etch on company time.

Finally used my Kagekiyo B1 Damascus Stainclad and damn….The patina shows on the Hira side of it too. 😍🔪👌🏼
IMG_2552.jpeg
IMG_2553.jpeg

BRB, looking up Fennel recipes…
I think it’s more to do with the polish job than ingredients I’m afraid.

Certain types of polish seem to knock out blues regardless of what you throw at it. No idea why!

Latest posts

Back