My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ awesome photo!

is the kato san-mai? doesnt look like the face of the blade is very reactive at all, or maybe freshly cleaned XD

^ awesome photo!

is the kato san-mai? doesnt look like the face of the blade is very reactive at all, or maybe freshly cleaned XD

haha yes its a kato, and it has not been cleaned since new so i would say not too reactive once it starts a patina :D

The Anderson's look good w/ patina, but fantastic polished, the hamon
glowing!

Cleaned up my blade before taking it a steak dinner.

Protein and particularly bloody meats give an amazing patina.

zdeMdWg.jpg

Taa5X2A.jpg

All the blood is removed during the third phase of slaughtering (bleeding out). The red liquid you see is myoglobin

The natural patinas that I have produced from cutting onions, tomatoes, and beef have all looked crappy. I don't have any very expensive Japanese knives, so I have the option to experiment. I am very interested in trying urine, (mine for hygienic reasons), to see if I can get an interesting patina on a carbon blade. It appears that it would be best to use urine that I produce early in the morning, perhaps between 6 AM and 7 AM, and I won't eat or drink anything after 6 PM the night before.

"Urine pH values: In a pH balanced body. urine is slightly acid in the morning, (pH = 6.5 - 7.0) generally becoming more alkaline (pH = 7.5 - 8.0) by evening in healthy people primarily because no food or beverages are consumed while sleeping." Perhaps heating the urine would result in a better Patina.

I would thoroughly wash the knife several times before using it, and of course I wouldn't sell the knife on any Knife forum or Ebay.

And here I thought I was a bit crazy with my obsession

Pissing on things not knives :biggrin:

is that what that brown stain on the handle was from?

i've just now put a new edge on it btw with my newly acquired jnat (aizu) that i'm completely head over heels over. been drinking so no guarantee it will be any good tho

Some patina on toyama gyuto.

DSC_4245.jpg

2wnmfxl.jpg

Ps. If some mod can merge the posts, with image that is seen. Would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back