My new little toy (Shigefusa)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr. Naka also said here: http://hides-export.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/kitchen-knives-in-progress2.html that knives go to saya maker.
And also implied here: http://hides-export.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/what-you-can-order-and-how.html that it happens after the knife is finish.

Somehow, shigefusa stamp on saya is not always the case. I've got one on a yanagi saya, but not on the other two usuba sayas.

that´s true, i ordered Shigefusa from Dr Naka, and after the knife was done, the knife was sent away to Saya maker. and my petty saya dont have shigefusa stamp.

New Sayas will get burned Shigefusa Logo, But nor Sayas or Handles are made by Shigefusa. They get hand made by Handle and Saya maker in Sanjo, Niigata
Just want to cear up some myths :D

You mean, like they dont halve murder-convicts to check the new blades? :O :scratchhead:

I want a refund

:justkidding:

Neat knife there Peco. shortie for me but looks good

Ah .. got it .. like this?
shigsaya.jpg

Pretty, burned shigefusa logo.

These are nice knives but the western handle scales (and workmanship to shape them) is really bad - some of the worst I've seen. I see the maker as more of a blacksmith than woodworker.
Isn't this the case quite often with Western handles on Japanese knives?

During my recent search for a high-end Japanese blade with a Western handle, I ended up in a store not too far away from me which had both a Shigefusa Suminagashi 240mm gyuto with traditional handle as well as a Yoshikane Suminagashi 180mm gyuto with Western handle in stock. I went there to see the Yoshikane, but I also had a look at the Shigefusa. The Shigefusa was ridiculously beautiful (huge though) - but still I prefer Western handles. The Yoshikane was a bit of a disappointment, I must say. As I've heard, only 20 of those have been made to date. The price is in the same range as Hattori KDs, but F&F are very disappointing: I would not have cared about that little bit of rust on the heel/back of the blade, but what really disappointed me was a little hole in the bolster as well as a carelessly made handle. :( I guess I could do this with a little bit of practice, and believe me, I am definitely no talent when it comes to woodworking! :biggrin: Besides, the Yoshikane was ridiculously heavy, the blade was about 5mm wide! :eek2:

I find this very disappointing. I understand that traditional Japanese blacksmiths prefer to make knives with traditional handles. But as soon as they decide to make Western handles as well, I expect that the handle gets the same attention as the blade. Not only, but especially on a knife in the price range of that Yoshikane Suminagashi!

Isn't this the case quite often with Western handles on Japanese knives?

During my recent search for a high-end Japanese blade with a Western handle, I ended up in a store not too far away from me which had both a Shigefusa Suminagashi 240mm gyuto with traditional handle as well as a Yoshikane Suminagashi 180mm gyuto with Western handle in stock. I went there to see the Yoshikane, but I also had a look at the Shigefusa. The Shigefusa was ridiculously beautiful (huge though) - but still I prefer Western handles. The Yoshikane was a bit of a disappointment, I must say. As I've heard, only 20 of those have been made to date. The price is in the same range as Hattori KDs, but F&F are very disappointing: I would not have cared about that little bit of rust on the heel/back of the blade, but what really disappointed me was a little hole in the bolster as well as a carelessly made handle. :( I guess I could do this with a little bit of practice, and believe me, I am definitely no talent when it comes to woodworking! :biggrin: Besides, the Yoshikane was ridiculously heavy, the blade was about 5mm wide! :eek2:

I find this very disappointing. I understand that traditional Japanese blacksmiths prefer to make knives with traditional handles. But as soon as they decide to make Western handles as well, I expect that the handle gets the same attention as the blade. Not only, but especially on a knife in the price range of that Yoshikane Suminagashi!

im glad they dont spend same time and amount of attention on the handle as the blade, one of the reasons i by a knife is for the blade, it´s so easy to change handle and make your own fit and finish,

I agree for a certain price range of knives, up to US$ 200 or so. On such a knife I wouldn't expect that perfect F&F. However, when I spend US$ 1.000, I expect perfection, not only from the blade.

Anyway, I hope that the Western handelled Shigefusa features both, a fantastic blade and good F&F.
im glad they dont spend same time and amount of attention on the handle as the blade, one of the reasons i by a knife is for the blade, it´s so easy to change handle and make your own fit and finish,

1000 USD is not really much for a knife. You couldn't expect perfection for that :)

new shig owner here. got from bst. it needs a bit of thinning and my own edge as i was not impressed with the initial results on the board. profile is ok. people weren't kidding about the fit & finish, this thing is remarkably polished in every way. i hate d handles but even this one feels fine.

shig_zpsd6aa3efb.jpg

shig3_zpsdd22818b.jpg

shig2_zps283a7803.jpg

new shig owner here. got from bst. it needs a bit of thinning and my own edge as i was not impressed with the initial results on the board.

I have a new Shig coming to me and your comment makes me nervous, are you saying it is a little thick above the edge? Is this typical of Shigs?

I have a new Shig coming to me and your comment makes me nervous, are you saying it is a little thick above the edge? Is this typical of Shigs?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Panda bought his used from the B/S/T forum here so it probably wasn't a fresh edge. Shig's cut real nice, trust me!

Good to hear (for me). I'm looking forward to the Shig. Right now I have Ginga 210 and I love it, love the profile, the feel in hand, and cutting. But...I just tried a Tanaka blue from ebay, and while I didn't like the profile at all, or the handle, there was something about the grind and weight I really liked. For chopping strokes or tip work it just went through everything effortlessly. My Ginga just doesn't have the weight to do that, at least with anything other than fresh sharpening. The Tanaka wasn't especially thin behind the edge - at least compared to some other knives I've owned and measured, but it FELT thin while working with it. Anyway, I'm hoping the Shig is the best of both worlds.

Good to hear (for me). I'm looking forward to the Shig. Right now I have Ginga 210 and I love it, love the profile, the feel in hand, and cutting. But...I just tried a Tanaka blue from ebay, and while I didn't like the profile at all, or the handle, there was something about the grind and weight I really liked. For chopping strokes or tip work it just went through everything effortlessly. My Ginga just doesn't have the weight to do that, at least with anything other than fresh sharpening. The Tanaka wasn't especially thin behind the edge - at least compared to some other knives I've owned and measured, but it FELT thin while working with it. Anyway, I'm hoping the Shig is the best of both worlds.

The grind you are talking about is what still mystifies most knife makers when it comes to kitchen knives.

The grind you are talking about is what still mystifies most knife makers when it comes to kitchen knives.

Yeah I've come to find the most important thing in a knife is not the steel, heat treat, etc., but the grind. Which is very hard to quantify. I'd even bet that some of the best grinds don't even have a great explanation from the maker himself, he just knows what he does works and is desirable by people.

I have Tanaka blue 210 and it's the thinnest knife I own behind the edge, I would definitely call it a laser!
Shig appears to have a strong asymmetric grind with gradual convexity and stronger curve near the edge. Can't wait to tune this thing to my liking, bet it screams once its had work done.

I have Tanaka blue 210 and it's the thinnest knife I own behind the edge, I would definitely call it a laser!
Shig appears to have a strong asymmetric grind with gradual convexity and stronger curve near the edge. Can't wait to tune this thing to my liking, bet it screams once its had work done.
posting at work? *** and yeah that shig was nice! still kinda like *** with the plastic and cheap wood on a $400+ knife

Does anyone have some recommendations for what I posted above (in case the Shig doesn't fulfill what I'm looking for)? Basically a flatter profile, a good, thin grind that slices effortlessly, slightly more weight than a Ginga? I push cut, just learning to chop a bit, never rock chop.

Does anyone have some recommendations for what I posted above (in case the Shig doesn't fulfill what I'm looking for)? Basically a flatter profile, a good, thin grind that slices effortlessly, slightly more weight than a Ginga? I push cut, just learning to chop a bit, never rock chop.

I think your Shig is going to blow your mind. Likely very thin behind the edge and the grind will impress. You will love chopping with this thing.

spent a good hour thinning and sharpening. wow carbon really is a joy to work on, felt wonderful on the stones. took off a ton of metal, but still could use another session, maybe even two!!
shigthinned_zps529f195b.jpg

shigheel_zps6b012e5c.jpg

Back