My new project - YellowHouse

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is beyond cool!!!! I would love to be involved in that type of operation. How much prep time did you guys put in? Two months? And I'm not talking about the food part but all the other stuff: decor, settings, everything.

-AJ

Damn this is really something, what a great set up you guys put together, I'm VERY impressed!

Sweet ...Looks well executed and I am sure it was extremely gratifying. When is round two???

Ed and I have been talking about doing a dinner like this forever. It never happened because we never picked a date. About 2 months ago we said "fck it" and just decided on one. We wanted it to be on a saturday, and this was the only one we both weren't busy with work. It was meant to be I suppose, as July 30th is also the birthday of our best friend, Jay Camp, who died two years ago this past May. He was the best cook either of us have ever worked with and all around a great guy. Ed and I were roommates at the time, and Jay had come over for a small bbq. He was spending the night, but for whatever reason, decided to head home in the middle of the night. He fell asleep on the highway and his car crashed.

His drink of choice was a PBR and a shot of Jack. We offered them to anyone who wanted to join us, and then toasted to Jay.

Like I said, Hat's off. Or as the French simply say, le chapeau.

Boots on.

Excellent work, sir!

It makes me uber jealous. People, for some unholy, unfathomable reason, simply will not make time to come to my house for dinner. I've offered free holiday feasts with days of work and nobody shows up! Your guests are very lucky, and so are you.

:D:D

All joking aside, I showed this thread to my wife. The conversation verbatim is below:

Wife: "Wow that looks absolutely amazing! Are they in NC?"
Me: "Nope. They're up in CT."
Wife: "Oh ... want to go up to CT?"
Me: "That's like an 8 hour drive!"
Wife: "Yeah, but for amazing food!"

This is from a woman that complains that driving over to Chapel Hill (15 miles) for a meal is "a hike". That's one hell of an impressive event you guys put on!

Haha, good to hear. We have already had multiple requests for an event in Pennsylvania, so that will cut a few hours off your drive.

The best word I can use to describe your event is "Elegant". Simple and elegant. That would be a meal to remember for sure!

Thank you, that was the idea. You could see it on peoples faces when they came into the back yard and realized this wasn't a run of the mill bbq.

And David I hope you don't think less of me for my John Boos block I used for the cheeses! It is warped and cracked anyway so it is no good for an actual cutting board. One side is nice enough for this though.

Johnny,

Thanks for sharing your first dinner event with us. I loved the pictures and I must admit, I want to try something like this although not quite as large.

Looks like those guests were truly satisfied. What a great concept, glad you guys pulled it off with great success. Best of luck with future ventures. And you are always welcome down here in PA

That look's great! I would love to attend an event like this. You two did a great job, very elegant indeed!

We are back from the dead...we have done two private events in the last couple months, a brunch and a vegetarian tasting menu. Both went well but unfortunately I didn't have time to take many pictures.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!

Monday, September 17th @ 30 Arbor St. in Hartford, CT is our next event. Hosted by the Htfd Denim Co. we will a counter serving Phở and steamed buns. The other two cooks Ed and Power will also be DJing old school Hip Hop and we have a small craft cocktail list as well. It is a big space and hopefully plenty of people, so not really a sit down coursed meal, but more of a party with a "fast food" option on site. All are invited.

Hope you get to take some pics for this one. Good luck, sounds like a great party. Looking forward to hearing about the menu.

Back