My polished Sakai Yusuke

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree, soon it will be covered with nice looking patina so who needs any polish :D

Just start sharpening any knife, but don't rinse away the mud after and use worn sand paper or a cloth to transfer it to the blade you want to polish and have at it. That's what I'd do. Or you could generate some with a lapping block or diamond plate or nagura. We had some discussion a while ago on my 'Tips on Polishing' thread about how various grit ranges work out - stones vs sandpaper, etc - and turns out the system is impossible to figure out, or so it seems to me, so I'm not sure what 1200 grit paper relates to with stones (it might not be equal to a 1200 stone, for example). Anyway, I haven't tried polishing with stone mud, but I hear a red Aoto is good for this; I have one and the grit range seems to be in the low thousands.

According to the grit chart P2000 (sandpaper) and J1500 have equivalent particle size, 10 micron. That's a fraction finer than a Chosera 1000. But for some reason the Chosera pattern will be more regular. I guess the stone mud gets finer with use, and the grit indicates the maximal size of fresh particles.

my king 1000/6000 hardly makes any mud, i think it will take forever to get any from it lol.

Kings should get nice and muddy. The 1k side is very clay like. Salty has a vid about polishing a knife to a mirror finish....

Are you using wet/dry paper? The addition of water to the sanding process also will increase the polish....

I like scratches on my knives, if I made them through regular use. They're like little battle scars and they make me want to use the knife as a tool, rather than display it like a showpiece.

I actually had a conversation with Adam Marr about the gyuto I have that he made for me. It's a great working knife, looks really nice, performs even better, but the polish is too high for me. I told him we should go satin next time. He laughed and said he was afraid it wasn't mirrory enough. Again, this is proof of these all being up to each person's opinion/preferences.

Kings should get nice and muddy. The 1k side is very clay like. Salty has a vid about polishing a knife to a mirror finish....

Are you using wet/dry paper? The addition of water to the sanding process also will increase the polish....

I'll try to make some mud next time ill sharpen and save it for when i need to polish.

Yes i use lots of water with wet and dry paper.

But as Lefty pointed. i use my knives at work and when it is busy i don't have the time to baby them so they will scratch and patina.
I don't like scratches but i like the patina :D

Back