My Winter Break with Murray Carter.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, so where did you stay? What did you do with your spare time? It's the tidbits I want to hear?

I stayed in Murray's guest house. Most days we worked until around 5pm or so. Afterwards I usually got cleaned up, ate some food, pondered and summarized the day (things I learned and observed), read books, or tried to browse some stuff on the internet. The internet connection wasn't that great (it was probably my old laptop's fault), so I just found other things to do in the down times.

A lot of times I just found myself thinking to myself, either trying to engrave what I learned deep into my brain for future reference, or brainstorm on things to improve on and how. As much as I'd love to say that one particular thing changed my approach so drastically, it didn't turn out that way (and I never intended for it to either). Murray's approach and techniques are so far out there in terms of skill and style that it would be difficult for anybody to "copy" them for lack of a better word. For example, I'd say the biggest thing that distinguishes Murray from most other makers over here is how much Murray uses the forge and to what degree. To replicate the effectiveness and efficiency of his process would take decades of guided, proper practice. He forges out kitchen knife blanks in about 3 minutes for crying out loud... :scared4: I can even imagine that his heat control is actually at such a level that it could be consistently quantified too.

Thats the most awesome thing I've read in awhile...

Sounds like you had a great time. SO JEALOUS :thumbsup:

Knives, planes, and guns. Pretty cool.

One thing that caught my attention was that Murray was never wearing any safety glasses when hammering or grinding.

Looks like a fantastic and inspiring time. I like this quote..
"The most important aspect of any craft is the ability to use your eyes."
Or as us Hereford blacksmiths less eloquently say, "Eyes like a **** house rat" :D
Well done Don.

Was I the only one that found it a bit ironic that after the "using your eyes quote" are a bunch of pics of Murray grinding and forging without eye protection?

hehe murray will forge without eye protection, neck knife around his neck, gun on his waist, what a badass. Don't they always say don't operate machinery with a tie, or something around your neck? who cares he can do what he wants. He should be smoking a cigar and drinking a scotch while he's at it.

Sounds like an awesome trip and you missed the nasty weather that has been plaguing us.

a big thank you don for a great review. i'm impressed by carters set up which allows for movement conservation. cranky72

Very informative. Thanks for the info. Even as a hobbyist, I've considered doing one of his classes

Back