N60 steel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenHash

Reaction score
Zwilling is making a line of knives which resemble the Globals marked N60 Stainless. I've never heard of this steel and am wondering if it is a 4116 variant or something else. I think they are being made in their Seki Japan factory along with the Miyabi line.

Looks like something other than 4116. They say it's Nitrogen-alloyed, highly corrosion resistant (dishwasher safe, even) with very fine grain and hardened to 60HRC. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 14C28N or something similar.
Edit: likely LC200N with that corrosion resistance. I don't think Vanax or Nitrobe 77 are possible at the price point.

Last edited:
Where are you seeing that it is nitrogen-alloyed?

Where are you seeing that it is nitrogen-alloyed?

Upon review, they say "Nitrogen-enhanced" which could be marketing speak for anything.

https://uk.zwilling-shop.com/Kitche...nives/Santoku-knife-Zwilling-30917-141-0.html
Nitro60 stainless steel construction
Nitrogen enhanced steel for hardness, cutting edge retention and corrosion resistance
That product is also listed as N60 elsewhere, and some sellers note that Nitro60=N60.
Screenshot_20200210-071936251_1.jpg

Interesting to note that they already have some knives in Cronidur 30 at 60HRC, and they list them as such.

OK. It's tough to get 60 Rc when heat treating LC200N even with small batch heat treating so I think it may not be LC200N. But Bohler makes it as N360 which is sort of a similar name to N60.

Since when do facts have anything to do with mass-marketing HRC numbers, or performance claims in general?

Latest posts

Back