• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Nakayama Asagi Maruka

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This stone is in my set for 1.5 year. I kind of try to keep it but I feel it is more reasonable to sell it as I am not using it enough because of the time and care this stone need to reveal its finish ; and use a slightly softer/easier stone for the knives I am selling. It is coming originally from Nutmeg. I was asking for a fine grit making mirror finish. This stone is bloody fine and still very abrasive. Grit is 10k and up. Hardness is about 4.5, still usable on knives with care. Nagura help but I succeed to use it without nagura.
Finish is great as you get a mirror finish with still a nice contrast when the stone is freshly lapped. You can get a burnished finish if you keep on using the stone and get a mirror finish.
For sharpening, this is very fine grit and would give a very fine clean cut.

This is Nakayama Asagi Maruka. Size : 205X75x29mm. Weight : 1155 grams.
Stone have a good shape, is sealed, nice kawa, feel dense.
Price is 700 euros (shipping fees out) SOLD

DSCF1784.jpg
DSCF1785.jpg

DSCF1788.jpg
DSCF1787.jpg

20211116_122555.jpg
20211116_122416.jpg

DSCF1789.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1789.jpg
    DSCF1789.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Looks like a typical natural mirror. My guess is if you precede it with a shapton high carbon glass 6k, you'll get a total mirror with contrast :)
I didn't try that configuration, but I think you're totally right. It is giving the mirror effect with the natural side, meaning doing a great job on iron compare to what most(I would say maybe all) synthetic would do.

Reactions: JDC
I didn't try that configuration, but I think you're totally right. It is giving the mirror effect with the natural side, meaning doing a great job on iron compare to what most(I would say maybe all) synthetic would do.
I was surprised the first time trying this progression. The 6k hc stone yields a high-shine mirror less scratchy than the 30k glass. And the speed the natural stones (Nakayama kiita or mizuasagi) remove the 6k scratches while leaving the mirror intact was like magic.

Latest posts

Back