name the ONE comfort food for you.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good bowl of light noodle soup with a crispy fried egg or a good burger, no giant uneatable patty, just a good thin crispy patty, cheese, tomato, pickle and lettuce.

Reactions: ian
Cheeseburgers…currently the ones from the weekend pop up on Pizzaiolo’s patio in Oakland…
ECAABCEE-D836-4A21-8A19-AF9B44AB2BB5.jpeg

The Talking Heads one?
I first heard this in the Stop Making Sense gig in NY from 1983. It is one of my favourite music videos.

I had a VHS of it but could never find it on DVD, so haven't watched it for well over a decade. Just last month, I was vey happy to discover that the entire concert is on YT.

i made it once..no twice. first time i paid a lady in Vietnam to teach it to me. a cooking school. it was awesome. we hit a market got the ingredients and made it. while it simmered we did other things. the fresh made rice paper was a highlight.

That is awesome! What a great experience!

i came home and reproduced the Pho. told myself i could buy it for $11 per bowl, instead of spending $100 for the caldron i ended up with. haha. never again.

Totally! Not cost effective at all! I think the saving grace of my attempt was that I used good ingredients! Definitely tasty but probably not 'traditional/authentic'. Not sure I'll ever do it again for 'value'... I might do it for the challenge... and possibly to try and impress some friends!!

Such a great comfort food though.... Definitely up there

I've got too many to list on the true comfort side, so I'll just go with what I make when I need to help my digestive system out: Bowl of rice with grilled meat/veg and some kimchi/kraut/whatever ferment is on hand.

I guess I'll be the one to go low-brow in this thread: potato chips.

Good ones, bad ones, commercial, or homemade - it doesn't even matter, I like them all.

If I'm eating for comfort, I'm not eating at a restaurant and I'm 100% too tired to cook something fancy just for myself.
If I ask my wife I think she would say packaged fast-cook ramen. :)

Reactions: ian
Without question: a fried oyster (or roast beef w/gravy) poor boy sandwich, dressed, with a cold beer in a frozen glass, at Domilese's tiny restaurant in uptown New Orleans.

(I have come pretty close to replicating the roast beef version: thin sliced roast beef from the deli heated up in a rich, beefy, slightly piquant gravy. Place the meat, dripping with gravy, on a light crispy baguette, and top with shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced pickles, mustard, mayonnaise, and a few shakes of Tabasco. Have about ten napkins on hand.)

Last edited:
My second-most favourite comfort food: Gumbo.
With home-made Andouille sausage and ham hock, duck legs, large shrimp, and Blue Swimmer Crab claw meat.
View attachment 190651
I love gumbo, and maybe it’s number two for me as well but as far as comfort food goes I have to stick with really good mac and cheese.

I really can't pick a single food but reduced to the most elemental it is probably fresh, naturally leavened (long cool ferments generally preferred) bread with some good cultured butter. The type of bread doesn't matter as much as the freshness and natural leavening, whole grain boules; 100% rye, baguettes and/or ciabatta (with a little rye or ancient wheat variety added) are all good.

Slightly more involved would be either grilled cheese sandwiches, probably with tomato soup, or proper macaroni and cheese - good pasta, mornay sauce, good cheese (usually some combination from among cheddar, gruyère or comté, fontina d'aosta, taleggio, and parmesan) for both the mornay and melted layer(s). These were the comfort foods of my youth.

Last edited:
I struggle at picking just one but from the things I saw in this thread carbonara is probably pretty high up there... it's basically junky fast food posing as something culinary. :D And importantly it's quick and fast, and I can whip it up with stuff I usually have at hand.

Latest posts

Back