Naniwa Gouken stones: Kuroto, Hayabusa, Fuji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Wizard

GLGC Creator
Reaction score
Has anyone used these new Naniwa stones? I found a few positive reports specifically of the 4000 and 8000 (Hayabusa and Fuji) stones.

261.jpg
263.jpg
264.jpg

Yes. The Gouken pro is a good #1000 stone. Id say slightly above average on my list but not the best. Was my first whetstone ever bought. Have moved on since then. Don't get the cheaper deluxe #1000 as it is not that great and only recommended for softer steels.

The hayabusa is a good stone. I usually go higher than #4000 so don't often use this stone. Usually going from #1000 to #6000. But the Gouken don't have a 6000. If you plan on only getting two. The pro and hayabusa will do the job for you and should keep your price a bit lower.

The fujii #8000 is an excellent stone. Kind of pricey though for its size. If you plan on sharpening single bevel knives such as an usuba or yanagiba, it's a great stone to use. It's also a Good bridging stone too off you plan on going higher grit. I use this stone a lot when sharpening my single bevel

The hayabusa is a very good stone. Splash and go and cuts pretty fast. It does clog up however, and flattening after every use is basically mandatory. To me thats not a big deal. Considering the stone is so inexpensive. I doubt you could find a 4k that performs nearly as well as hayabusa under $80, and the hayabusa is only like $40 shipped to the US.

The sigma select ii #1200 is hands down the best medium grit stone I've ever used. Cuts fast and dishes very slow. The select #1000 is also very good cuts super fast but dishes fast as well. So if you intend on sharpening single bevel if go for the 1200

Is the sigma select I 6000 (select II is out of stock) the same level as the select ii 1200? What I hear is the select II 1200 is the best stone in the medium range which would be the 6k stone that is above the rest if not the select I 6000.

I'll have to check that tomorrow. I'll call sigma guys tomorrow or email them to check.

If they have the #1000/6000 combination stone in stock that might help bring down cost. Where are you ordering from?

If this isn't allowed please take it down. Im ordering from toolsfromjapan.

looking into 1200 sigma and another perm soak 5-6k which is the select II 6000. If it isn't in stock a 5k rika.

Back