Need a little help with a THIN 240 gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was criticized for saying this on another thread
, but when you tap the Sakai Yusuke on something, it makes the same sound as if you tap silverware on the side of a fine crystal. It literally sings.

The VG10 damascus Tanaka is quite thin, weighs only 156g and that's even with the very generous blade height of 55mm. plus mine is very thin behind the edge.
The b2 version is significantly thicker for some reason at 185g?

Email Dominique at Korin, recently it wasnt showing for me either, he wrote me back that it was a bug with the website and made the offer appear again. That or the sale is actually over...

I was checking the Tanaka from James, maybe his are made to different specs.

Thanks Benny. I guess the sale is probably over.

hiho

@matus
if you are living in the area around cologne you can do some extended lasertesting ;)
i got a lot of them...ohh i see you live in bavaria. ;(

if you really want the best lasers you can get in europe get a semi custom xerxes knife!
its for example with 1.2442 und sc125 steel and with or without s-grind.
http://www.xerxes-knives.de/214.html as you are german you will have no trouble with the site
also there you can find links to the the german knife forum with the stasi-mods-from-hell-of-doom

i tested all of his knifes against my craziest lasers and those things rock..really the best value you can get

also the akifusa oriental pm from cleancut is extremly awesome and i prefer it over my ashi right now.
best regards, daniel!

The Tanaka nashiji knives are thicker then the damascus vg10 and that bubinga will probably add some weght too. Mine are from Metalmaster.

@matus again nearly not out of topic:
awesome tips on your site! ill use your petty design combined with some mukimono/kiritsuke shape for a custom xerxes petty ill order (oh i think 2 months is his waiting list for stuff right now)
very nice do it your self stuff! oh if you want to see the xerxes in action check this out.. i was drunken and its in german so sorry for the gibberish https://youtu.be/k5DnUTfEO0A

@java
that kohsey price is pretty ok!

seeya daniel

Yeah I forgot to mention akifusa oriental! Crazy thin and it's made out pm steel.
I sold mine because I don't like Laser knives, but it could be be a good option for you! 😊

I got the Shiro Kamo Migaki 240 gyuto today, so here is some first impressions:
It - is - thin - and by thin I mean t-h-i-n: THIN!
And that profile: JACKPOT! This thing has my preference nailed down perfectly.
I´m so happy I can't stop grinning like an idiot!

The ootb edge was ok but light touch up and everything around you would just magically turn into slices and cubes just by the presence of the thing. You know when some people tell you that some lasers feel like your cutting air? This thing feels like your cutting with air!

I'm almost confused looking at this thing? It's only 1.1mm at the heel which is ridiculous to start with and even so, it's got a great continuos distal taper. It wouldn't need it, but it has it. And it has a noticeable convex grind too. How's that even possible with such a thin thing? It does flex though, but only if I bend it and while I generally like my knives to be stiffer, it surprisingly didn't bother me at all as I didn't notice it when cutting with it.

the blade is tall, it´s long and flawlessly made and the handle is beautiful and impeccably finished.
How this thing isn't getting noticed more is unbelievable? And for that price it has got to be the steal of the century?
Does it seem like too good to be true? Well that's how I feel like.

...Did it come across that I like the knife??? :lol2:

...and did I already mention it's thin? :D

I got the Shiro Kamo Migaki 240 gyuto today, so here is some first impressions:
It - is - thin - and by thin I mean t-h-i-n: THIN!
And that profile: JACKPOT! This thing has my preference nailed down perfectly.
I´m so happy I can't stop grinning like an idiot!

The ootb edge was ok but light touch up and everything around you would just magically turn into slices and cubes just by the presence of the thing. You know when some people tell you that some lasers feel like your cutting air? This thing feels like your cutting with air!

I'm almost confused looking at this thing? It's only 1.1mm at the heel which is ridiculous to start with and even so, it's got a great continuos distal taper. It wouldn't need it, but it has it. And it has a noticeable convex grind too. How's that even possible with such a thin thing? It does flex though, but only if I bend it and while I generally like my knives to be stiffer, it surprisingly didn't bother me at all as I didn't notice it when cutting with it.

the blade is tall, it´s long and flawlessly made and the handle is beautiful and impeccably finished.
How this thing isn't getting noticed more is unbelievable? And for that price it has got to be the steal of the century?
Does it seem like too good to be true? Well that's how I feel like.

...Did it come across that I like the knife??? :lol2:

...and did I already mention it's thin? :D

Is that the Aogami one (from Cleancut)? Or the R2 one?

Aogami version from Cleancut. I believe the R2 damascus ones are quite a lot heftier.

I have the Shiro Kamo Migaki Kiritsuke Gyuto 240 and it's indeed thin, but the OP wanted something stainless so I didn't mention it. The Shiro Kamo Migaki has reactive cladding over aogami #2 core. Reactiveness similar to Kono Fujiyama I think. Due to its light weight of the blade, the handle is small in circumference to give it the blade heaviness common for wa handled knives.

masamoto KS, this is my favorite knife and if a honyaki version was still available i'd get one in a heart beat. once patina is set, it's not very reactive at all. there is an aeb-l version available as well.

if it has to be stainless laser i would only consider tadatsuna.

I have a few of the ones mentioned and some others like them.
I would just go for a Robin Dalman and be done with it. By far better food release than the others and still thin

Hi Matus, I was in contact with bwj and ordered Sakai Yusuke in November last year. After no contact for about half a year I sent him a mail in June. He told me that he is not getting knives from them and suggested I should forget about it...he told me that this year he received 8 knives out of more than hundred he ordered. I am still on his list but in the mean time I bought Takamura 210 r2 from cleancut. It's true laser but it has western handle that is a bit too small. Besides that it's great knife.

I also bought Akifusa wa from cleancut for a friend few weeks ago. I must say I was a bit disappointed. First of all its not such laser as Takamura, no issue I was not expecting it to be. But there is huge issue in the choil, they tried to round it but instead of rounding it they produced a bevel which is really sharp. It is cutting / hurting into your index finger when you holding the knife so much, it's crazy. Real workmanship fault. I spent few hours on the knife and fixed this issue. If I would be buying for my self I would just send it back. Second issue for me with Akifusa is that the spine (in profile) is not straight but slightly concave. This is not a real functional issue but the knife just looks off a bit.

Sukenari has been suggested a couple times on this thread, I strongly recommend AGAINST it if you're looking for a knife that cuts well. I have only seen about 10 of them and only use 3, but all have been relatively poorly ground and quite thick at the edge compared to basically all of the other knives suggested here, I was really disappointed with the Gyuto I bought from them. There are so many better options out there like the Konosuke's, Sakai Yusuke and Ashi Hamono's

Sukenari has been suggested a couple times on this thread, I strongly recommend AGAINST it if you're looking for a knife that cuts well. I have only seen about 10 of them and only use 3, but all have been relatively poorly ground and quite thick at the edge compared to basically all of the other knives suggested here, I was really disappointed with the Gyuto I bought from them. There are so many better options out there like the Konosuke's, Sakai Yusuke and Ashi Hamono's

What model knives from them have you seen and used in the past?

Just curious because I saw you mention this in another thread too.

What model knives from them have you seen and used in the past?

Just curious because I saw you mention this in another thread too.

I own a 270mm ZDP non Damascus, I've used 2 of their white honyaki , and seen/held a whole bunch of Damascus ZDP and Ginsanko non Damascus, all of them have been Gyuto. Maybe their other shapes are better I don't know. I'm not trying to trash the brand, but there is a reason you can buy a $600 mirror polished shiro honyaki from them ehen everyone else charges $1400

graoazF.jpg

I don't know if anyone mentioned wakui. This is my 240 gyuto. It's pretty thin behind the edge and has a stiff back.

Where do I start :)

@ Krassi - I am really glad you like my blog and the design of the petty - PM me - I would have some improvement suggestions :) It seems I need to visit Köln again :) Yes - I am aware of Xerxes knives and he does amazing work, but should I go for one of his knives it would have to be san-mai and that of course puts the knife to different price range. I need to first figure out what kind of 'thin' knife I actually want - it would be too soon for a custom at this stage.

@ JaVa - I am having a closer look at knives available via cleancut - there are several that seems worth a try. Shiro Kamo looks interesting, thanks.

@ RobinW - Robin Dalman would definitely be a good choice (I had a chance to use his knife in a passaround), but here similar arguments apply as I mentioned with Xerxes knives - too soon for a proper custom knife.

@ krx927 - I have just got a reply from Keiichi from bluewayjapan - see below:
"I currently do not have any Yusuke wa-gyutos in stock. I have been waiting more than 2 years to receive those thinner version of stainless 240mm wa-gyutos with HRC 61. And I still will have to wait to receive it and do not know when it will be. Fortunately I heard that the situation of the supply for Yusuke gyutos recently has been getting better. Anyway I will post it on my ebay store once I receive it. Sorry but that is all I can answer you right now. Thank you for your inquiry anyway."

@ Charon - thank you - Yes, Wakui is on my list. From the looks it seems to share some similarities with earlier Itinomonn knives from Maxim

A few general notes:
- Stainless would be indeed preferable, but I am not excluding carbon steel candidates at this stage.
- Even though I love nice kurouchi finish, I am wondering whether kurouchi finish on a laser knife is a good choice - it could be source of increased drag.

I've owned/used all of them. I rate them in this order:

- Suisin INOX honyaki - Best fit and finish by a hair; very easy to sharpen; uniquely shaped wa-handle (octagonal on the top, rounded on the bottom); the only downsides are the screened, rather than etched/engraved kanji and that it has a machi, which some find objectionable.

- Ikkanshi Tadatsuna INOX - I used this as my daily driver for several months, and can only fault it for food release (which is a common fault of all thin blades); sold it, and have regretted it; if I had to choose between the Suisin and the Tadatsuna I'd have to flip a coin.

- Gesshin Ginga - Almost on par with the Suisin and Tadatsuna; difficult to find in stock.

- Sakai Yusuke - Fit and finish not up to the Suisin, Tadatsuna or Ginga; screened kanji (if that's important).

- Konosuke HD/HD2 - At one time these knives were a good value, but the price has increased way beyond what they are worth. HD/HD2 steel is prone to staining, and had no discernible advantage, at least for me.

- Konosuke GS - I had one of the early knives, not the latest GS+. Nothing really wrong with it, just nothing that made it stand out for me; the clad construction should make thinning easier; the handles on the GS+ that CKtG sells are just downright ugly, IMO, but you might find them pleasing to your eye.

- Itinomonn Stainless - Not a very thin knife at all, so it may not meet your specifications. FWIW, I found the one I had to be a good compromise between a very thin blade and a thicker one, like the Toyama or Watanabe.

My experience is similar to Pensacola Tiger, I think Ginga/Gesshin Ginga is very good value.

Also the above thin knives cuts differently from something like a Wakui.

The thin knives falls through food with some minor food release issues for certain items. The Wakui doesn't necessarily falls through food but cuts very well and has good release.

I own a 270mm ZDP non Damascus, I've used 2 of their white honyaki , and seen/held a whole bunch of Damascus ZDP and Ginsanko non Damascus, all of them have been Gyuto. Maybe their other shapes are better I don't know. I'm not trying to trash the brand, but there is a reason you can buy a $600 mirror polished shiro honyaki from them ehen everyone else charges $1400

That's interesting. From looking at the linked photo that Kippington had posted awhile back with his 240 & 270, maybe there's a large degree of variation between the two?

I have a 240mm ZDP non-Damascus and it is very thin

pLpQ7q0.jpg

That's a little bit of a bummer to hear. My experience with the one knife I've gotten and seen from them is so good that I would never have hesitated to purchase another one of theirs.

I would probably get a takamura or a dalman. I love the suisin IH (pleasure to sharpen) I had and really like the kono ginsan I tried as well.

My experience is similar to Pensacola Tiger, I think Ginga/Gesshin Ginga is very good value.

Also the above thin knives cuts differently from something like a Wakui.

The thin knives falls through food with some minor food release issues for certain items. The Wakui doesn't necessarily falls through food but cuts very well and has good release.

I like the Gesshin Ginga. Awesome knife. The fit and finish on my Sakai Yusuke is better than the Ginga. I feel like the steel is better with the Yusuke too. GS+ is not worth the price but I actually like the new handles, but I don't think it cuts anywhere near as well as the yusuke or ginga. The rounded spine and choil on the Konosuke are not nearly as well done as the ginga and Yusuke.

@matus
your welcome ;)
Ashi or Akifusa for me (akifusa needs some tuning on the very smooth sides)

weird bud - I have a 240 zdp damascus sukenari and really really like it. :stinker:

Hmm, what don't you like about their knives? I am quite happy with my 270 non-damascus zdp-189 gyuto
KCa1gC0l.jpg

Back