Need your opinion for handle design - Choose your favourite in this poll 🤓

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one is your favourite?

• A

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • B

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • C

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters

KasumiJLA

Custom wa handle & honyaki polishing
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a new design because I recently started using brass and I really love the visual! So I need you, dear cutlery experts, to give me your very personal opinion. You can simply vote, but if you have the time to write to me why your choice fell on a particular design, that would be great!

These are sketches made with Photoshop so it's a bit homemade, but it gives a good idea of the possible result. Those with a brass cap will have texture, like the example in the last photos. This is obviously something to take into account and imagine when looking at these photos.

Thank you for reading and good vote! 🙌
1CFD08F4-3E08-485E-86FA-0D7A1C705CB2.jpegF632C5EF-8441-4F68-AF11-DFDC530C9BDF.jpeg
706BB3ED-0161-4212-84B0-93185231DF31.jpeg9D4D0CFF-3C28-4693-AD10-B41823261FEC.jpeg
0236D92C-57FA-491C-901D-FEF69CBA485D.jpeg3AF8733E-5EA8-4BB3-AEA7-E10F6FCA7911.jpeg

3BF05E12-3C5C-4229-8E61-C82CF078E8F2.png265F7652-06BE-4242-B77A-E09C94F7F5E2.png

Last edited:
B.

A is a problem because at some point the brass will be proud of the wood, and I like the proportion of B better than C.
Thanks! I’m starting to like subtle details more and more so happy to see that this one is loved so far 🙂

@esoo put it well. B would be my choice as well.
Thanks! 🙂

A is my favorite so far. B is also very sexy of course but A is a bit more tasty 👌

The photos are very dark. Any chance of some more light for us old timers?
You are absolutely right about this.. I rarely work on my computer and the screen is not calibrated at all. I increased the brightness a bit and replaced the photos. Thanks for letting me know @Nemo 🙂

My personal preferences have either a ferrule cap of a different material or about an inch long ferrule.

At this level, there is no right or wrong, it's strictly personal preference.

In handles with stabilized wood and metal spacer, the wood will always shrink /swell while metal will not.

Interesting, looking at the handles alone, I thought I'd choose A, but seeing your mock-ups with the blades, I went for C.

Take a look at Shihans designs. He has what I consider to be the best, especially with metal spacers. The ones pictured above need a little more taper and a smoother transition from handle to tang.

Last edited:
In my experience, metal spacers in handles is never a good idea. No matter what you do, you can use the best stabilized wood, but eventually the surrounding environment will change just enough such that you get a step at every one of those transitions. It might look nice from afar, but would drive me absolutely nuts on a daily user.

In my experience, metal spacers in handles is never a good idea. No matter what you do, you can use the best stabilized wood, but eventually the surrounding environment will change just enough such that you get a step at every one of those transitions. It might look nice from afar, but would drive me absolutely nuts on a daily user.
Thanks man! I do drill holes beside the tang slot on those spacers (about 8 holes of 1,5mm) so with the epoxy it creates reinforcements, in addition to the dowel which stabilizes everything.

I have difficulty believing that things will move over time. But yeah, I totally agree that it might be less than ideal if a gap appears.

Will do my tests to find the best way and trying to avoid this for sure!

Thanks man! I do drill holes beside the tang slot on those spacers (about 8 holes of 1,5mm) so with the epoxy it creates reinforcements, in addition to the dowel which stabilizes everything.

I have difficulty believing that things will move over time. But yeah, I totally agree that it might be less than ideal if a gap appears.

Will do my tests to find the best way and trying to avoid this for sure!
Not a gap as in the pieces separating. I mean the metal becoming proud and you can feel the transition with your fingers. Even for handles I've made for myself (not shipping away to somewhere else that's extra hot, or dry, or humid), the step appears just due to fluctuations in my own home. I can only imagine it becoming worse if introduced to a drastically different environment.

This is just my experience with quality materials (K&g stabilization, g flex epoxy, doweled construction). So it's not like random home brew cactus juice blanks or anything.

Not a gap as in the pieces separating. I mean the metal becoming proud and you can feel the transition with your fingers. Even for handles I've made for myself (not shipping away to somewhere else that's extra hot, or dry, or humid), the step appears just due to fluctuations in my own home. I can only imagine it becoming worse if introduced to a drastically different environment.

This is just my experience with quality materials (K&g stabilization, g flex epoxy, doweled construction). So it's not like random home brew cactus juice blanks or anything.
I have been making handles for about 6 years. You are absolutely correct. Eventually the end user will feel a light step. It's small. Tactile, not necessarily visible. Some people don't care. No problem. The clients get what they want.

Back