New Contest - Drawing 12/7

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people have never seen curly eucalyptus.
I want to know how Vertigo and Quantumcloud figured it out.
I would have guessed curly mango or ???? if I hadn't known.

I became very familiar with eucalyptus when I talked my boss into spending a few thousand on some fresh cut logs.
Looked like nice wood but it moves like crazy when drying.
Took about 5 years and about 90% waste.

I play a wooly butt didgeridoo, and when I read the post, I looked over at my didge, looked over at your post, looked at my didge, and said...hey , what the heck :)

Im jealous :)

Hey cool beans Mark, thanks so much!

:bliss:

Eucalyptus would have been my guess...Only because i have a few blocks in the shop :) It does have mango style grain structure though. The eucalyptus i have is red though...

Mark,

The Redwood burl showed up and it is magnificent specimen.

Thanks again for the contest and Merry Christmas all!

I am glad you like it.
On a side note; stabilized Redwood Burl has been one of the woods that has increased in demand the most over the past couple years.

A lot of people (myself included) take redwood for granted just because it is a name we are used to hearing.
But they don't think about the fact that Redwood only grows in a limited area making it sort of a rarity.
Plus it being protected and most of the good stuff comes from salvaged stumps and old stashes.
80%+ of the places we used to get redwood from are gone now.
I figure it will only be a handful of years before I am unable to get any of the good stuff except for old stock that someone has stashed.

I play a wooly butt didgeridoo, and when I read the post, I looked over at my didge, looked over at your post, looked at my didge, and said...hey , what the heck :)
Im jealous :)

I know this is a late response but....
The only people who play a didgeridoo around here tend to have dreadlocks and the cigarettes they smoke have an aroma that smells like a cross between a skunk and a Christmas tree.

Back