New Geometries Offered - Convex and Asymmetric Convex

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S grind seems to have less sticking. How does horizontal cutting compare? Both seem to cut well but is there a difference in feel?

So, folks there you have it - the S-grind videos. Once again, these were to demonstrate the ability of the geometry rather than my cutting form (poor by all means, in part because of an injured finger).

This blade is just a little bit lighter than an asymmetric convex blade in the same length, but still has the proper rigidity on the spine (no flex). The sharpness on this blade is far from it's potential - I just put a quick edge for the videos. The knife is obviously a work in progress, ground and roughly finished, so the Western handle and the final polish is still ahead.

Thanks for watching,

Marko

S grind seems to have less sticking. How does horizontal cutting compare? Both seem to cut well but is there a difference in feel?

S grind will perform better in horizontal cuts, but not by much, as the tip area of asymmetric blade is at its thinnest.

I think there is probably no geometry that would offer no sticking on shallow stuff, but overall, the food separation on S grind and asymmetric convex is comparable on the few things that I cut.

Very nice, Marko. The s-grind really seems to do a nice job. You have a real future as a premier knife maker. BTW, which grind wedged less in your finger? :D

Believe it or not, I got cut by Son's knife made by Roy Rogers while I was polishing it. It had a plain convex geometry, but still cut badly nevertheless, probably in part because Tihn thinned it and sharpened. :D

Very nice, Marko. The s-grind really seems to do a nice job. You have a real future as a premier knife maker. BTW, which grind wedged less in your finger? :D

Marko is a premier maker IMO. I have used plenty of Devin Thomas, carter, shigefusa, and Kramer and there is a reason I own a Marko aside from price. Now don't get me wrong if love to have a knife from any if these makers but I feel Marko is just as good currently and can only get better from here.

I feel Marko offers more of a value than the others with exceptional performance. Mine is 2 years old In a pro kitchen and still my favorite and most used knife. Can't wait to get another one down the line.

But I would like to know as well about the wedging In the finger haha

There will be a thinner version of asymmetric convex, and the knives will be offered as lasers. For now this version will only be available in AEB-L and in 225mm length for gyuto and 275mm for suji. At some point later I will include longer length gyutos.

S grind will be standard grind - no lasers, though I do grind my blades to very thin above the edge, so with a good food separation, it might feel like one.

The finger cut is right on the tip of my finger, so it's hard for me to apply pressure - something I do a lot while grinding and polishing, so I took it easy these past couple of days, but am back at full speed at work today.

I will do some quick videos on how these grinds work on sujies. At this time, S grind and Asymmetric are ones I offer.

250mm suji, Asymmetric grind, Western handle (shown without a handle).

[video=youtube;zVEF-cVFmPQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVEF-cVFmPQ[/video]

[video=youtube;u0THvsJmWGw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0THvsJmWGw[/video]

I think for cutting proteins (with a suji), asymmetric grind might be a better fit. In terms of thickness above the edge, both asymmetric and S grind are about the same.

I am offering these grinds as I think they are probably some of the most performing geometries out there.

M

Back