New gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Danny

Sorry about that pineapple pizza thing
Reaction score
Sorry, didn’t know what to call the thread and I’m being really greedy with pictures for now 😂

It’s 3 (4 but I’m keeping one) wrought iron and 26C3 gyutos in the ballpark of
245x58x8 mm. A bit nose heavy, real work horse cutters.
Choil shots to come.

It’s a co-lab between a black smith and me as a polisher.
This is our third attempt and have so far gone well.

A picture for now and more to come of the polishing process.

I know it’s not much to go on, but as pictures roll in, please feel free to subject me to your critique 👍

Attachments

• IMG_9468.jpeg
    IMG_9468.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Thanks, mate.
Let’s see how this pans out and if my polishing skills are satisfactory to the crowd here 😅

Last edited:
This is my preferred profile - lots of height carried down the blade with a reasonably dropped tip.

The KU/nashiji looks really nice too.

If you want volunteers to road test anything for a bit… You know where to find me 😀

Thanks y’all!
First knife is almost done and second one is coming along nicely

The stone progression used is
Namikawa Kongo, Asahi, Binsui-do
Then, Aizu, hard Ikarashi and Uchigumori + fingerstones.

The video is Kongo chasing low spots 😅

Attachments

• IMG_9498.mov
    32.7 MB
What a fun project! The knives look great.

I've been daydreaming about doing something just like this (i.e., find a blacksmith to do the laminating and rough shaping and then take over for the sharpening and handle work). Did you just reach out to a local blacksmith and ask?

What a fun project! The knives look great.

I've been daydreaming about doing something just like this (i.e., find a blacksmith to do the laminating and rough shaping and then take over for the sharpening and handle work). Did you just reach out to a local blacksmith and ask?
I was hosting a Japanese knife flee market and was just talking to someone about delaminated spines, when he asked me afterwards if I wanted to know more. I said “yes”
And one thing led to the other, and suddenly I was helping him making knives.
I just wanted to polish the damn thing, and when he saw the finished result of our first knife, we’ll the rest is history and now we are doing this 🤷‍♂️😄

So… I’ve finished up a couple of these bad boys.
The lesson with these knives and naturals, as always is. That different knives calls for different stones.

Tried to finish these on Uchigumori and Nakayama, didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to.
Had to bring these down a notch to my very good Ikarashi. It doesn’t go completely scratch free (or smaller scratches than other finer awasedo. Well Ikarashi is not awasedo, you know…) finished this one with some finger stones I got from @Jurrian and that did help me quite a bit.

These are not picture perfect knives. But they are done by hand, from laminating to last stone. Bad ass work horses flirting with the 350 gram.

There’s still a couple of knives left, before this batch is done.

Hope you enjoy and as always, thanks for reading and please don’t hold back on questions or critique if you find it necessary 👌

Attachments

• IMG_9600.jpeg
    IMG_9600.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9601.jpeg
    IMG_9601.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9604.jpeg
    IMG_9604.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9606.jpeg
    IMG_9606.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9607.jpeg
    IMG_9607.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
So… I’ve finished up a couple of these bad boys.
The lesson with these knives and naturals, as always is. That different knives calls for different stones.

Tried to finish these on Uchigumori and Nakayama, didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to.
Had to bring these down a notch to my very good Ikarashi. It doesn’t go completely scratch free (or smaller scratches than other finer awasedo. Well Ikarashi is not awasedo, you know…) finished this one with some finger stones I got from @Jurrian and that did help me quite a bit.

These are not picture perfect knives. But they are done by hand, from laminating to last stone. Bad ass work horses flirting with the 350 gram.

There’s still a couple of knives left, before this batch is done.

Hope you enjoy and as always, thanks for reading and please don’t hold back on questions or critique if you find it necessary 👌

Out of curiosity what happened when you try to finish on the finer natural stones?

Out of curiosity what happened when you try to finish on the finer natural stones?
It just went more hazy, erasing the details in the wrought.
Sometimes my Ikarashi turns out scratches other times it doesn’t. But this time, I had to use fingerstones 👍

So this is about to be finished 👍

It’s unforgiving light, but at least it’s honest
The Ikarashi leaves the nicest effect on the wrought, but is not completely scratch free 🤷‍♂️

IMG_9799.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9795.mov
    40.3 MB
  • IMG_9795.mov
    41 MB
Back