new JCK line, stainless WA Gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yusukes gyuto profile seems to be evolving though. newer ones dont like ones ive seen a couple years ago. also, i owned a yusuke and a konosuke in white 2 steel and i found there to be noticeable differences in the performance between the two in terms of retention and edge stability.

yusukes gyuto profile seems to be evolving though.

Like the change in profile from the Konosuke HD to HD2? I'm not sure how the blade blanks are produced in Sakai, but it is a division-of-labor system. Is it possible that JCK's maker, Konosuke, Sakai Yusuke, Ashi are all obtaining their AEB-L blades from the same source?

The crop of Sakai lasers seem to be using 13C26 (AEB-L). The Suisin INOX Honyaki uses 19C27. I'm definitely going to sell one of these knives and try out the Suisin IH.

The 240 and 210 Gyuto Yusukes that I receive about a a few weeks ago were susposed to be in Swedish stainless HR 61 flat profile in 2.8mm thickness. I've let Onions juice site on the blade and it has cleaned up perfectly. Nothing more than a loaded strop to keep them scary sharp.

You ask the vendor or manufacturer.

Duh. I did not ask "How do you find this out?" I asked "How do you know this?" (Emphasis added.)

You wrote this:

The crop of Sakai lasers seem to be using 13C26 (AEB-L).

"Seem" does not equal certainty. So if you asked a manufacturer or vendor, then you should know what they communicated to you.

On the other hand, if you're just guessing, then tell us why you think it's this steel.

13C26 wouldn't be a bad thing. I don't know what they use now but for years Swedish commercial fish processing knives were the lower grade 12C26 and I certainly went through a lot of cod and rockfish with those.

I've seen many posts that state that Sakai Yusuke uses AEB-L, but I have not heard it from the horse's mouth.

Back