New (kindle) cookbook. Tasting History by Max Miller, with Ann Volkwein.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This cookbook features recipes going back 4,000 years. One thing I really like about it is often ingredients are substituted with modern analogs. This book has a section talking about the original what they were and how they were made.

One example, Garum, Roman fish sauce. You can still get it, It is now called Colatura di Alici. I have used it, but Red Boat Vietnamese Fish Sauce is superior in every way. I have wondered if you sat a ancient Roman down and had him sample the 2, the modern Colatura di Alici and the Red boat fish sauce which one he would have preferred. Here is a tip, put, to taste, a very small amount of Red Boat fish sauce in sour cream, this on baked potatoes is awesome.

IMG_9052.jpeg

Last edited:
We had a thread on Colatura di Alici a while ago. IMO, there is very little difference between Red Boat fish sauce and Colatura di Alici, except that Red Boat only costs a small fraction.
That is how I found it. In fact I was a somewhat disappointed by the taste of Colatura di Alici. You read ancient accounts of it and the description does not match what I was tasting. There are archaeology shows from Greece were they come across places that made Garum. The had a archaeologist who was an expert in recreating Roman foods make some as it was made 2,000 years ago. The smell knocked them over but the umami taste on the food they tried it on was addictive.

I just recieved have not tried it yet Red Boats latest offering Red Boat Fish Sauce X Twaydabae.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 07.07.58.png

Last edited:
Next time you’re in a restaurant with French fries in front of you, douse them in worcestershire sauce. Old time nyc Irish bar staple.
This is what I use on French Fries. Louisiana Cane Vinegar from Steen's, it is primo on fish-n-chips, fast food fish sandwiches, on salads etc etc. It has a taste somewhat like a basic italian balsamico vinegar but much much better. I order it from Amazon.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 07.19.00.png

Back