New knife rituals

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeaderan

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask if people have rituals they do with new knives you aquire? And also if there are certain well known knives brands that just plain handle and feel better once something is done to it. ie thin the oob edge force patina etc...

Same here... it starts a love-hate relationship that ends in respect... Won’t go into more detail since it might sound weird! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Some knives are so intuitive and comfortable to use that they don't draw blood for a long time after you start using them. These are the keepers.
Then again, some knives won't cut you because you never use them. These are not keepers. :D

Never varies: Cut carrot. Dice onion. If carbon, roast a chicken, then slice and rejoice in the new blue hues. Tuck it into its box, and bring it to my bed to "get some sleep", if you know what I mean....

When I get a new knife, I prepare a meal with it.

No need to bury something at a crossroads at midnight first, and no need for blood from a unicorn or virgin… ;)

No rituals... just a quick inspection of the blade. I will also give the handle a once-over, and if it has any rough edges or high spots or other sorts of nonsense, I'll buff it out and then give it a coat of oil or wax. Some handles get the Tru Oil treatment, just to seal out moisture (and seal *in* moisture) to help keep the wood of the handle maximally stable over time. At least, that's my operating theory. Maybe Tru Oil doesn't "seal in the juices." That's another conversation though.

Mostly I just buy a bunch of stuff that the knife would be good to cut, and then cut as much of that stuff as I can. Performance is what matters. That's where your rituals should be, not trying to bring out various finishes on on your magical natural whatever-stone whetted with unicorn tears.

This is a "new-old-knife" ritual. Or rite of passage into my kitchen, at any rate. I bought a kind of new NOS forged Sabatier from a member on the forum a while back. I refinished the blade (nothing fancy) and put a more aggressive edge on it. But the main project was the handle. The rosewood was in slightly jankier condition than expected, and the tang was protruding, so I had to grind that down on all sides. Manually.

After I sanded the handle down... and then up through finer grits... I gave the handle the "spa treatment" by cooking it sous vide for 30 minutes in a bath of beeswax and mineral oil. If you're looking for temps, I went with 63C -- the melting point of beeswax. It's also one of my favorite egg yolk textures, but now I'm getting into other rituals...

joule_sab.jpg

First, I set this trap card.

Then cut some mirepoix.

While the onions are stinging my eyes I run out to where my spouse is situated and I look into the window and exclaim "So close ... But its not the perfect knife ... So Im gonna have to buy more" run back into the kitchen and continue cutting the mirepoix with Chopin playing in the background.

Later that day I will share a photo on this forum and then look at what new knife to buy.
_20190427_092822.jpeg

Beauty shots first. Secondly, sharpen till it shaves my arms, not much hair there to begin with, so doesn't take long ... then onion, apple then potato or carrot ...

.. a bit back also would mean I had to start making plans to modify my knife block to add another slot (it's pretty frankenstein now)

After removing it from the box I stroke it gently while drooling profusely and then take it and wash the slobber and fingerprints off.

I cook a meal with beef and onions. Because my recent purchases have been carbon edge, this is my recent favorite thing to do with a new knife. The beef builds a nice quick patina and the onion does a little work too. One of my favorite break-in meals has been a ragu made with beef chuck, onions, celery, carrots, and garlic.

You guys are crazy.... you know that, right? ;-)

:p:D:eek:

Last edited:

Then cut some mirepoix.

While the onions are stinging my eyes I run out to where my spouse is situated and I look into the window and exclaim "So close ... But its not the perfect knife ... So Im gonna have to buy more" run back into the kitchen and continue cutting the mirepoix with Chopin playing in the background.

Later that day I will share a photo on this forum and then look at what new knife to buy.
View attachment 52376

Haha, this

Then cut some mirepoix.

View attachment 52376
This is the advice I have been looking for.

Always want to give a factory edge a fair chance. For a few minutes or so. Bleeding is often involved due to some nasty burr.
Then I put an emergency edge on it, force a patina — or use it and leave it dirty for some time, except for the very edge — and give it a full sharpening.

Back