New potential handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it looks amazing and as others have said, it's a nice way of doing black-on-black handles, which can looks really boring

Dunno, I'm extremely biased towards wood so take this for what it's worth but I'd go for a wooden handle any day, even humble ho would be preferable in my agenda. That said I think your handle is very elegant, maybe nickel spacers instead of white fiber, to aesthetically recall the metal of the blade.

I'm going to say no on this one. I don't like the carbon fiber look. It looks a bit smudged up in the image as well. Just not very clean looking. Maybe if it was tightened up and the lines were near perfect I'd take a second look.

I like. Especially for more utilitarian knives. Are you thinking an option with your knives or making them available for aftermarket?

This was a test piece. I agree that the pattern is blurred, and am looking into a tighter weave. It, for the time being, will be an option for those who want "sterile" or a hard work piece. I don't usually supply handles, but am open to discuss it.

I too am a wood junky, but customers have asked me for a non showy option for work, that isn't just all G10 or Micarta.

I think the cool thing is you can do different solid colors or even two tone stuff like black and red or whatever. That could look pretty neat.

I really like it. The carbon fiber is really pretty and I imagine it's really comfortable to hold, not to mention super durable. :)

Wow, looks just like my hunting bow and arrow set up. I think it is genious!!! I am a huge Wa handle fan, that just can't afford to spend $150.00 per knife, on replacing all my handles. If the price point was right, I am sure you could sell large quantities. I know I would be interested. :knife:

It's stupid. Go back to Canada!

I like it a lot....

I like it. Tighter weaves, metal spacers, butt cap with your paw's signature.

Just struck me, there are of course carbon weaves with other colours and also carbon/kevlar mixes that you could use for more colour. red/black, blue/black
http://carbonsales.com/home.php

Do you vacuum them?

Potentially you could get a heavy foam and form that to shape and then put the weave on too... With a bit of epoxy when you mount the handle the foam should be ok (i think)

Pierre and I talked about this for a little while, and we came up with the idea of soft wood, like poplar, with carbon fiber over top, for when a really lightweight but durable handle is needed. A knife like a small petty or a wa-parer could use this application very effectively.

I am also working on a carbon fibre, leather core saya, and maybe a leather core Kydex saya. The leather would protect the blade, and the synthetics make it all but bullet proof. Either on its own would be nice, but both synthetic materials would scratch any finish over time. The leather is much gentler. I just need to work it out and do a couple prototypes.

Back