New Project need help: Grand UnifiedStone Soaking Chart

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a look at the table. I noticed that drying time for soaking stones is often quoted as "at least a day". Unless you have exact information - I would rather write "several days". For the Gesshin 400 and 2000 where I have the data I would write 3-6 days (it was 4-5 in not too humid environment). In fact - if you know how much water the stone absorbed, you could reasonably well calculate how long it will take to dry since the surface of the stone for most stones similar (unless the stone is over-sized, than it may take longer).

Kitayama 8k is a splash n go stone although it feels best when it's been quick soaked for a few minutes, it just gets a little softer. Recommend what you will here.

I had a look at the table. I noticed that drying time for soaking stones is often quoted as "at least a day". Unless you have exact information - I would rather write "several days". For the Gesshin 400 and 2000 where I have the data I would write 3-6 days (it was 4-5 in not too humid environment). In fact - if you know how much water the stone absorbed, you could reasonably well calculate how long it will take to dry since the surface of the stone for most stones similar (unless the stone is over-sized, than it may take longer).

i wrote at least a day, as i know that in warm dry places, they can dry that fast. In other places, they take longer. I took a new stone recently, weighed it, soaked it, weighed it, dried it, and weighed it again... i was able to completely dry in a day at my store (though it is rather dry, can get warm in some places, and has constant air circulation)

Kitayama 8k is a splash n go stone although it feels best when it's been quick soaked for a few minutes, it just gets a little softer. Recommend what you will here.

I left mine in water forgetfully once and while the stone was fine, the wooden base had warped slightly and started delaminating from the stone. It's fine however, just wanted to point that out.

should the phrasing be "at least a day but could be several days" with the idea that what we are really doing is pointing out teh need to give these stones a chance to dry slowly?

In fact is there a good test to know if a stone has dried enough so it can be put away??

i wrote at least a day, as i know that in warm dry places, they can dry that fast. In other places, they take longer. I took a new stone recently, weighed it, soaked it, weighed it, dried it, and weighed it again... i was able to completely dry in a day at my store (though it is rather dry, can get warm in some places, and has constant air circulation)

Tank you Jon. I would have not expected that much of a variation. Good to know.

should the phrasing be "at least a day but could be several days" with the idea that what we are really doing is pointing out teh need to give these stones a chance to dry slowly?

In fact is there a good test to know if a stone has dried enough so it can be put away??

i've got a solution... store the stones in a dehydrator... problem solved ;)

Dehydrators actually cook at low temps like 100-150 degrees or so. Sure that's safe?

for most stones that soak, yes (i.e. ceramic stones). For what its worth, they are made using much higher temps, and i've had stones in 100+ degree rooms with no problems at all. I probably wouldnt put many resinoid stones in there though.

Yes there actually is. Put the "dry" stone in a brown paper lunch bag, you'll know if it's dry pretty quick. The same seems to happen to those cardboard boxes that the stones come in too.

Sorry if this is considered a necro, but I like this information, so I made a google doc for this pdf. Editable by anyone.

If the original author wants to take this and put it into their own google doc/etc, that's fine too, since it's their collection of information.

Awesome thread. I kind of have been soaking mine except for a really soft hakka koppa. The ones permanently being soaked are king 1200, SS 12k, king 1k/6k, and a lv4+ nakayama and some nagura fingerstones. I did it as an experiment and also to see if my lazy ways could be doable. Unfortunately not as it is annoying to change out the water, fairly often, the stones are perfectly fine and have no problems. The hakka was part of the perma-soak but it split in half about 6 or 7 months ago but luckily it was horizontal and fairly flat so I have 2 thinner hakkas now.

Added a few stones to the google doc. This thing could use an update! Thinking about the recent 1k stone hunt and all the names mentioned there, JNS stones, etc.

Do you have a most updated version of the chart?

Back