New Shapton "Rock Star" stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Dunno about the name.
Details here are that these are white alumina (is this AlOx or something else?) and they come with a nice looking kind of storage case thing. They demonstrate it on R2 and mention cutting hard steel fast, so maybe targeted at more wear resistant PM steels.

Apparently they have these to try out in MTC NYC. Anyone want to go and report back?

Product page here: SHAPTON Co., Ltd. | SHARPEN YOUR LIFE

CKTG has them listed (but not for sale yet) with pretty low prices, but could just be a placeholder price https://www.**************.com/search-results.html?query=rockstar&vwcatalog=**************

Unsurprisingly, the Shapton product page has close to 0 substance

Looks like they're just thick Glass stones with a glitzy (optional) case.

From the site:

The RockStar series comprises 10mm solid sharpening stones of a high quality equivalent to those in the GlassStone series.
The GlassStone series products feature 5 mm tempered glass laminated to 5 mm sharpening stones.*
The RockStar series has 10 different models, while the GlassStone series has a total of 17 types.
*Product no. 50106 features 5 mm tempered glass laminated to a 10 mm sharpening stone.

Maybe kind of like Naniwa pro vs chosera? Where they made a slight change to allow it to avoid cracking, and thus don't need a base, and can offer more abrasive for a lower price. Pretty nice if true.

Anything that attracts people to the amazing Shapton Glass Stones (or equivalent) is OK in my book.

If that requires a silly name in a glitzy font, well, OK. Hire Metallica for the rollout party, for all I care.

What's got me scratching my head is that the 8K is "1 micro class" and the 10K is "NANO class," but my 10K is labeled as 1.47 microns.

I never went for the double-thick 500, something about "it's 2 stones glued together" put me off. But a one-piece double-thick 500...hmmm.

Odd.. If you look at the precautions. It states that the stone should be soaked for 5-6minutes. So a shapton soaker?

Odd.. If you look at the precautions. It states that the stone should be soaked for 5-6minutes. So a shapton soaker?

Q. Do Shapton stones need to be soaked in water before use?

A. No, Shapton stones do not need to be soaked except the very first time after purchase. We do recommend that on first use, you pre-soak the stone in water for five to six minutes to secure even smoother sharpening.

https://shapton.co.jp/en/faq/#faq32

Just as I was about to get a series of Shapton Glass they throw a wrench in my plans… I wonder if the new one would be the same as the SG…

Anything that attracts people to the amazing Shapton Glass Stones (or equivalent) is OK in my book.

If that requires a silly name in a glitzy font, well, OK. Hire Metallica for the rollout party, for all I care.

What's got me scratching my head is that the 8K is "1 micro class" and the 10K is "NANO class," but my 10K is labeled as 1.47 microns.

I never went for the double-thick 500, something about "it's 2 stones glued together" put me off. But a one-piece double-thick 500...hmmm.

There was a member who posted a while back about the intricacies involved in these types of industrial ceramics. Basically that it’s really, really hard to maintain consistency in the baking process as the stone gets thicker and often the center of the stone might feel and act differently from the outer layers.

Anyway his (apparently highly knowledgeable) opinion was that the double-thick Shapton stones were double-stacked not out of laziness but likely out of technical limitations with making an actual double thick version.

I can not find on the shapton website wether shapton pro and shapton glass are made with the same alu oxide or not.
When different oxide, why not explain exactly what is the difference and use that as a usp?
So I assume they use the same basic abrasive material + the glass version is just a marketing trick and the difference is just psychological.

Shapton Pro and Shapton Glass are clearly different in use. People who have used those smaller Shapton stones that look like Glass stones that shrunk in the wash say they are a bit different from either.

It seems a safe bet that these new stones will have some differences (though probably the same abrasive and different binder, like I'm guessing the others are). We'll just have to try them and see.

Shapton Pro and Shapton Glass are clearly different in use. People who have used those smaller Shapton stones that look like Glass stones that shrunk in the wash say they are a bit different from either.

It seems a safe bet that these new stones will have some differences (though probably the same abrasive and different binder, like I'm guessing the others are). We'll just have to try them and see.

You first! :)

Every so often, an economic wormhole spontaneously appears between Amazon.co.jp and Amazon.sg. It seems to bypass Amazon.com.

Regular prices:

IMG_3682.png

Amazon.co.jp via Amazon.sg:
IMG_3681.png

Converts to US$27.80

😮

Shall I click “buy”?

Last edited:
That is a slam dunk at $27.80... they appear to be $55 on Amazon in the US.

Back