New West Knifeworks Fish Spatula - $15 spatula, $50 scales, and a $90 logo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HolyDiverScallop

Not too smart, but at least I’m ugly.
Reaction score
I'd had my eye on a New West Knifeworks fish spatula for some time, because I'm a sucker for high end utensils, a sucker for nice wood, and (this is critical) kind of stupid.

After a couple of beverages the other day, my guard was down, so I bought one with ironwood scales. Total cost to me was $160.82, after tax and shipping and a 10% off coupon I found. You can get one with G10 or Micarta scales (not sure which it is) for about $20 less than ironwood.

What I received was an ISO standard mass produced stamped stainless steel fish spatula with a brushed finish and a New West logo, featuring a very nicely buffed set of ironwood scales fastened with large headed brass rivets.

The butt of the scales was barely radiused but nicely rounded. The front end of the scales were squared off 90 degrees to the blade of the spatula, and weren't quiiiite even with each other. I feel like some level of radius, bevel, or other more graceful transition wouldn't have been amiss for the tariff paid. It does not appear that epoxy was used to bond the scales to the handle, but I can't be certain about that.

The side edges of the spatula itself were not *sharp*, per se, but it was clear that they weren't really finished (apart from maybe a stone tumble or something) after the stamping operation and needed some cleanup to smooth them out. Similarly, the working edge of the spatula was somewhat rough, definitely not smooth, and needed some work to clean it up so that it could actually make full-width complete contact with a cooking surface.

What I should have done was returned it, but instead, I put on my clown shoes, taped the handle, and went to work with some 1000 grit and a flat surface. In about 20 minutes, I had the side edges smoothed out and the working edge flattened out. It is now a pretty decent spatula with some pretty nice scales, that I overpaid for by at least $90.

You'd be better served buying a Mercer or Vic spatula and getting it rehandled.

I think I am going to go into business making nice handles for unremarkable mass produced utensils.

Attachments

• New West 1.JPG
    New West 1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • New West 2.JPG
    New West 2.JPG
    999.9 KB · Views: 0
  • New West 3.JPG
    New West 3.JPG
    641.4 KB · Views: 0
  • New West 4.JPG
    New West 4.JPG
    684.7 KB · Views: 0
  • New West 5.JPG
    New West 5.JPG
    926.1 KB · Views: 0
  • New West 6.JPG
    New West 6.JPG
    668.8 KB · Views: 0
  • New West 7.JPG
    New West 7.JPG
    813 KB · Views: 0
  • New West 8.JPG
    New West 8.JPG
    670.1 KB · Views: 0
  • New West 9.JPG
    New West 9.JPG
    396 KB · Views: 0
  • New West 10.JPG
    New West 10.JPG
    472.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I knew better. I saw all the crap they were slinging and the “6” Chopper” and the prices, and I knew what this was about.

The brick and mortar stores in Aspen, Big Sky, Jackson Hole, and Park City should have told me everything else I needed to know.

But somehow I thought the spatula would be The One Good Thing. Jesus.

I knew better. I saw all the crap they were slinging and the “6” Chopper” and the prices, and I knew what this was about.

The brick and mortar stores in Aspen, Big Sky, Jackson Hole, and Park City should have told me everything else I needed to know.

But somehow I thought the spatula would be The One Good Thing. Jesus.
Eh. I got a dinky little paring knife with my order that was regifted to a buddy, he used it for like 10 years until his roll got jacked. Not a bad knife when the price is free!

For sure. I’d be happy-ish with this spatula for maybe $80.

If the quality and workmanship is there, then I’m not overly price sensitive. If the materials are rare, expensive, or difficult to work with, I totally get it.

But this is an affront to craftsmen everywhere and an object lesson to idiots like me.

I’ve spent dumber money on much nicer things.

I'm ok with spending more on a product that works better/is made by craftsmen and will hold up with proper care, typically that's what i opt for when i'm buying kitchen equipment
Longevity > Affordability

If I spent 160 USD on this, and it came looking like that, I would be so unbelievably angry

Hard for me to throw stones here, because I once spent $105 shipped for a Titanium Fish Spatula from Eating Tools.

I am happy with it, though, and I use it for a whole lot more than fish. I don't know whether it was overpriced; it probably was, considering the source, but I think it's pretty great.
Those spatula looks really dope tho

I'm ok with spending more on a product that works better/is made by craftsmen and will hold up with proper care, typically that's what i opt for when i'm buying kitchen equipment
Longevity > Affordability

If I spent 160 USD on this, and it came looking like that, I would be so unbelievably angry
It’s a great example of a cynical and completely shameless money grab. If anyone had any doubt whatsoever about what New West Knifeworks is about, this should provide some context.

a less extreme example, but that's how i felt after i bought some lamson spatulas
https://lamsonproducts.com/product/2-piece-kitchen-set-with-pom-handles/
flimsy, cheap feeling, poorly finished junk. i didn't notice that brad leone was shilling for them until after i purchased, lol. some maroons on reddit recommended it (strike two), but i saw 'made in usa' and gave it a go.

much more promising:
https://dexter1818.com/turners/
https://dexter1818.com/products/traditional-5-x-4-hamburger-turner/
https://dexter1818.com/products/s285-4h-cool-blue-sani-safe-5-x-4-hamburger-turner/

i think this may be my next purchase

1711014767949.png

ballin'

Last edited:
I have a lot of love for the Dexter Russell S825 4"x2.5" turner. So much that I have a spare in case it gets discoed, which it may have been. Classy walnut handle, flexy yet stiff blade, nicely rounded corners, only $25 or so. If I could have only one spatula, this would be it.

It looks like the S2421/2 may be the spiritual successor from Dexter Russell, but I want to see if Due Buoi has something similar.

Attachments

• 51lE64np3AL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    51lE64np3AL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
Hard for me to throw stones here, because I once spent $105 shipped for a Titanium Fish Spatula from Eating Tools.

I am happy with it, though, and I use it for a whole lot more than fish. I don't know whether it was overpriced; it probably was, considering the source, but I think it's pretty great.
Eatingtools strikes me as the Cartier of the kitchen.

I'd had my eye on a New West Knifeworks fish spatula for some time, because I'm a sucker for high end utensils, a sucker for nice wood, and (this is critical) kind of stupid.

After a couple of beverages the other day, my guard was down, so I bought one with ironwood scales. Total cost to me was $160.82, after tax and shipping and a 10% off coupon I found. You can get one with G10 or Micarta scales (not sure which it is) for about $20 less than ironwood.

What I received was an ISO standard mass produced stamped stainless steel fish spatula with a brushed finish and a New West logo, featuring a very nicely buffed set of ironwood scales fastened with large headed brass rivets.

The butt of the scales was barely radiused but nicely rounded. The front end of the scales were squared off 90 degrees to the blade of the spatula, and weren't quiiiite even with each other. I feel like some level of radius, bevel, or other more graceful transition wouldn't have been amiss for the tariff paid. It does not appear that epoxy was used to bond the scales to the handle, but I can't be certain about that.

The side edges of the spatula itself were not *sharp*, per se, but it was clear that they weren't really finished (apart from maybe a stone tumble or something) after the stamping operation and needed some cleanup to smooth them out. Similarly, the working edge of the spatula was somewhat rough, definitely not smooth, and needed some work to clean it up so that it could actually make full-width complete contact with a cooking surface.

What I should have done was returned it, but instead, I put on my clown shoes, taped the handle, and went to work with some 1000 grit and a flat surface. In about 20 minutes, I had the side edges smoothed out and the working edge flattened out. It is now a pretty decent spatula with some pretty nice scales, that I overpaid for by at least $90.

You'd be better served buying a Mercer or Vic spatula and getting it rehandled.

I think I am going to go into business making nice handles for unremarkable mass produced utensils.
Ok guys — $185.-
No lowballs; I know what I have.

IMG_3857.jpeg

a less extreme example, but that's how i felt after i bought some lamson spatulas
https://lamsonproducts.com/product/2-piece-kitchen-set-with-pom-handles/
flimsy, cheap feeling, poorly finished junk. i didn't notice that brad leone was shilling for them until after i purchased, lol. some maroons on reddit recommended it (strike two), but i saw 'made in usa' and gave it a go.

much more promising:
https://dexter1818.com/turners/
https://dexter1818.com/products/traditional-5-x-4-hamburger-turner/
https://dexter1818.com/products/s285-4h-cool-blue-sani-safe-5-x-4-hamburger-turner/

i think this may be my next purchase

View attachment 309640

ballin'
https://www.mercerculinary.com/product-category/turners/hells-handle/

Review as submitted. It is not yet posted. I would be surprised if it sees the light of day.

This is an unremarkable $15 fish spatula paired with $50 handles, and a $85 logo.

I was excited about the New West fish spatula. It looked like it would be a premium utensil with some premium handles and premium fit and finish. For $150, you would certainly hope so.

What I received was an ISO standard mass produced stamped stainless steel fish spatula with a brushed finish and a New West logo, featuring a very nicely buffed set of ironwood scales fastened with large headed brass rivets. Those scales are aesthetically quite lovely upon first inspection.

The butt of the scales was nicely rounded but the edges were only just radiused. The front end of the scales were squared off 90 degrees to the blade of the spatula, with zero radius or relief, and weren't quiiiite even with each other. I feel like some level of radius, bevel, or other more graceful transition from scales to blade wouldn't have been amiss for the tariff paid. It does not appear that epoxy was used to bond the scales to the handle, but I can't be certain about that.

This would have been a fair deal at $50 or $60, but at $150 before shipping, Mr. price paid and Ms. quality delivered aren't even nodding acquaintances.

They have reached out and pointed out their 30 day no questions asked return policy. But the review is as yet unpublished.

I thinned their 'Teton Santoku' awhile back for friend who got it as a wedding gift, adding some convexity behind the edge. I decided to look it up as I wasn't familiar with the brand and was surprised to see a simple stamped/laser cut knife in S35VN. I was fairly blown away by that price ($400+) for a knife with no evidence of craftsmanship whatsoever. Just cut the blank, slap some scales on there and put an edge on it... cha-ching!

But if you got fooled by the hype @HolyDiverScallop in a moment of weakness, it makes it easy to understand that they could do a whole booming business on fooling the less knife knowledgeable populace.
And it sucks that there's no point in even checking reviews these days, cuz the negative ones either don't get published, or reviews get hype inflated with fakes. Blessed be the forums...

Back