Newbie 210 Gyuto ~$150?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonka1

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyuto/Long Petty

Are you right or left handed? Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Prefer Japanese handle, but I've noticed there isn't a lot of options in this price range.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 180-210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Not really, no. Wouldn't mind owning one upon recommendation, but carbon would be my first choice.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $150.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) All of the above.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Pinch grip, mostly. I've used the hammer grip before.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? Push cut, slice, draw and chop. Though slicing/push-cutting I notice I do more of.. And I don't have the best cutting skill or technique.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? Decent F&F, and ability to chase a highly refined edge with experience.

Better aesthetics - I don't really like Damascus finishes in this price range. There are other Damascus finishes I've seen and would love to own, but are much more then $150. Plain or "roughed"/worn look is what I like most (think Takeda)

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Not picky. Never having owned a knife this long, it'll all feel weird for some time..

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? A solid edge OOTB is a plus, but I plan on sharpening it myself one day. Ability to use the knife upon arrival is a plus, but not required. A blade that's easier to sharpen is important.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Obviously the longer the better, but not required. If I have to re-sharpen once a month, with moderate use, no biggie. I need to learn how to sharpen, and I have a feeling I'll be sharpening, or attempting to, even if I don't NEED to, so I can acquire a better skill set.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Boo's end-grain Maple. Considering buying one of the smaller Hi-Soft boards from Korin as well.

Do you sharpen your own knives? Would like to, yes.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Looking at the Bester 1200 stone, Gesshin 2000 grit stone or Gesshin 1000/6000 combi-stone, initially, along with a DMT Xtra Coarse (220 grit) stone flattener. Add a coarser grit and finishing stone as I acquire the experience and skill.

Carbon?

Zakuri

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/zakuri/zakuri-210mm-blue-1-kurouchi-gyuto.html

Tanaka blue steel is somewhat in vogue at the moment

http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/34

since you specified it, there is a kurouchi one as well.

http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/330

Metalmaster service obviously isn't a patch on JKI, though members here haven't reported problems.

If you want a more substantial knife, Zakuri. Lighter/more "laser" like? Tanaka. Both have a reputation as good cutters.

Stainless, better fit and finish? - Gesshin Uraku at JKI.

Misono Sweden (Carbon) Steel - your choice of length 180/195/210
Hiromoto AS (Stainless cladding with AS Carbon core) - your choice of length 180/210

both come with a Western handle... Personally, I prefer F&F of Misono... Furthermore, the handle of the Hiromoto is rather small (slim), I prefer the Misono...

Thank you both. :)

Right now, I'm thinking the Tanaka (Kurouchi) and Misono Sweden.

If you want rustic and sharpenability then i would second Tim's recommendation of the Zakuri.

Gesshin Uraku 210 if you want Japanese handle but less rustic looking than Zakuri. also consider Carbonext if a western handle is ok.

I love my gesshin uraku wa-gyuto, it's a workhorse, use it all day on the line and it stays sharp, sharpens easily and is super thin behind the edge, the price can't beat and JKI's customer service is outstanding.

I love my gesshin uraku wa-gyuto, it's a workhorse, use it all day on the line and it stays sharp, sharpens easily and is super thin behind the edge, the price can't beat and JKI's customer service is outstanding.

Which Gesshin knife do you have? SS or carbon?

The Uraku is stainless,hardened to around 60 hrt,easy to sharpen not unlike carbon & holds a decent edge.

The ss, I needed a workhorse and the stainless seemed like the more intelligent route

Back