Next Up: Kochi Kiritsuke-tip Guyto Blue #2 240mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received it. Hard to believe that my Kochi was ever this tall.

worked on the Kochi today, and used it a bit. the knife had thickened out some, so with pitonboys permission, i thinned it out a bit. no drama, though there is some waviness in the grind above the edge that should be taken into account as the knife gets thinned over time, to prevent holes. anyway, after the small diet, boy does this knife cut purty! just sinks through onions, with very little effort. a great grind combined with some heft really works great. it's tall enough that it doesn't wedge carrots, like my now much shorter Kochi does (i'll take pics of the two knives side by side, before i send it off to the next user). edge retention hasn't been an issue, but i haven't exactly been doing 100 pound bags of shallots, here. f&f was pretty much the same as mine was, which is quite nice. sticktion is okay, not great, not bad. pretty standard for this kind of knife. the profile definitely has a taller point and more belly than my Kochi, bought in 2011, did. it works out just fine, though. really nice knife, but it really begs to be constantly thinned, to keep that fantastic cutting performance. i do prefer my V2 Kochi, to the Blue #2, but there isn't much in it. i just really like V2.

I noticed that waviness, as well, didn't look like it had ever had a proper sharpening with thinning. The heft and grind are really great, I liked it better than the Ginga I was comparing to, so I will have to order a custom at some point. The profile had way too much curve up at the tip for me, and a bit much curve along the flat area as well, I found the tip almost unusable and gave me some incomplete cuts. The kuro uchi seemed quite durable and stable. The steel seemed rather nice, I only gave it one pass on the Takashima Awasedo to touch up the micro bevel, the knife was not sharp enough for me while I had it, but I never had the time to deal with it, and I knew the wavy blade road would have to be dealt with, as Edipis said. Overall I really liked the Kochi, I might try to order one less tall, with a much flatter profile, when I can.

Well I've been really busy so pardon my silence so far. I've had the Kochi for about a week and I'm sending it out to ThEoRy this morning. I have to admit initially I was unimpressed with how it cut. I mean, it wasn't bad or anything but it just wasn't what I was hoping it would be. A couple passes on 2 loaded strops and it came alive. Cooked an entire belated Thanksgiving dinner with it, and while there was significant wedging in the monstrous sweet potatoes, it behaved like a total champ otherwise. It really opened my eyes to how substantial a knife can be and still cut beautifully. I didn't mind the profile, and the kanto style tip is just cool looking, haha. I didn't love the blade-heavy balance, but that just goes back to my preference for western handles. If they did a western version of this thing, it would be at the top of my list. I don't know if this was a pre-existing issue or if it's the humidity changes, but the fit between the ferrule and the wood of the handle isn't perfect.. caught my towel on there more than once when wiping the blade down. Didn't really bother me, but thought I should mention it.

Thanks again pitonboy for the pass-around! This was my first and I had a ton of fun getting to play with someone else's toy.

Just recieved this from Theory yesterday. Took off my left hand middle finger knuckle whilst prepping for veal stock. So it's definitely got a good edge on it...:slaphead:

Just recieved this from Theory yesterday. Took off my left hand middle finger knuckle whilst prepping for veal stock. So it's definitely got a good edge on it...:slaphead:

Nice... :cool2: I mean uhh oops :O sorry lol. Also, I mailed that thing like 10 days ago that took a while..

Back