No Love for VG-10?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to raise a burr, hard to get rid of it. Pops up again somewhere else after a wile. A nightmare. And indeed, the only soft steel I know capable of chipping.
in steel: soft=weak.

so its not really that unreasonable for a soft steel to be also chippy. since if its too soft its actually too weak to hold that edge, and then it can chip out or fold. we all deciede on our own as to what is '"too soft" but I'm fairly certain everything or almost everything below 60hrc will 1: feel like sh1t on the stones. 2: not hold an edge for long and 3: chip out prematurely compared to the owners expection. so lower hrc dont automatically menas better "durability" imo. i think its mostly myth. I'm fairly certain you could find out how this worked if you read a book about these types of steels for instance. but since nobody does. its all just BS. (i have read books on the subject though)

Going to diamond plate first takes the total time to about 10 or so minutes even if they have been using a mimio sharp on it.

Having a backup old-fashioned wristwatch has proven to be a wise decision...same reason I have an integrated 2nd stage and keep a backup mask and fin strap on the boat.

That's an excellent point- I carry an inexpensive 2nd dive computer as a backup, but nothing beats the simplicity and reliability of a good old fashioned dive watch. Maybe I should reconsider, LOL.

That's an excellent point- I carry an inexpensive 2nd dive computer as a backup, but nothing beats the simplicity and reliability of a good old fashioned dive watch. Maybe I should reconsider, LOL.
You can do that but you might end up like me with a $200 mask and $250 more on top of that to put bifocals in it for seeing the darn thing.Actually,I couldn't even read my computer without my prescription mask.Sucks getting old,that's why I would like the nice lit up display of the Shearwater.

Sucks getting old,that's why I would like the nice lit up display of the Shearwater.

Shearwater N.E.R.D. is perfect for you (clips to regulator hose, display in front of your mask). They pop up on ebay for $150-$500 from time to tine, set an alert and wait for a deal.

Shearwater N.E.R.D. is perfect for you (clips to regulator hose, display in front of your mask). They pop up on ebay for $150-$500 from time to tine, set an alert and wait for a deal.
Thanks for the recommendation.I'll have to see what Leisurepro has in store.

Back