noob sharpening question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinning might have been the wrong term. OK using this diagram http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/jbladeant.shtml I was hitting D My thought was to straighten that out to get a good base line. The thinking was as I sharpened the cutting edge if I had the base line I could watch the progression of blade wear and know when to thin later. Plus it had a slight belly and the heel seemed to be too large so I ground it down so it's flatter and thought I could make the 'D' uniform. Also the cladding was almost down to the cutting edge in one part so I was hoping it would thin when working on the 'D' part. Let me know where I'm going wrong and right if you don't mind.

Yes it had the k-o finish but with use it wears easily. I got tired of seeing black on my rag and took a green scrubby to it briefly. It seemed to slow it down a little (blackness) but didn't affect performance.

moritaka.jpg

gotcha, honestly I'm eyeballing the Gesshin Ginga 210mm White #2 Wa-Gyuto right now. but thought I could get my sharpening 'what to look fors' done now :)

There are reasons why Dave doesn't sharpen Moritaka's any more. Sad thing is they seem to be very plentiful with problems.

Back